COVID-19 Update for March 17; Third Positive Case
For Immediate Release:
3/17/2020 6:50 pm
The City of Worcester has released the following COVID-19 update for March 17:
- As of March 17, there is 1 new presumptive positive case of COVID-19 to report which brings the total to 3 overall presumptive positive cases of Coronavirus in the City of Worcester.
- All 3 individuals are being monitored by the Worcester Division of Public Health and remain in isolation.
- 4 of the 5 persons under investigation by the Worcester Division of Public Health, have tested negative for COVID-19. The fifth is awaiting test results.
- The Communications Center (9-1-1 and dispatch) will be split into two sites beginning Wednesday, March 18 (primary location and a backup location).
- Due to evolving concerns related to the spread of COVID-19, we’re announcing the closure of City Hall, the Senior Center, the Worcester Public Library, the Department of Public Works and Parks buildings, and 25 Meade Street to the public beginning Wednesday, March 18, until further notice.
- In response to Governor Baker's executive order regarding The Open Meeting Law, the City of Worcester has implemented a phone conference system to ensure that members of the public are able to participate and engage in all public meetings.
- All public meetings including City Council, Sub-Committees and Boards and Commissions, will be streamed live on the city's website at worcesterma.gov/video-on-demand.
- To participate, please use one of the two corresponding numbers: Esther Howland Chamber: (415) 655-0001 (Access Code: 735751404); Levi Lincoln Chamber: (415)-655-0001 (Access Code: 730323290); To find the corresponding meeting room, please check the municipal calendar at: worcesterma.gov/calendar.
- The Worcester Public Schools mobile meal schedule has been posted on the WPS website. This program will begin tomorrow, Wednesday, March 18.
- As of March 17, the Worcester Fire Department academy has been suspended until further notice.
- The City continues to work with its community partners in finalizing a sheltering plan for the homeless population.
- An internal sheltering meeting was held on March 17 with the Worcester Police Department, the Division of Public Health, Emergency Management and the Worcester Public Schools. Topics included locations, feeding, staffing and security. A sheltering plan will be announced in the next few days.
- The City has suspended all programming not related to COVID-19 on the City Government Channel (Channel 192 on Charter).
- The COVID-19 information line can be reached at 508-799-1019. Starting Thursday, March 19, individuals who are awaiting test results or those who have tested positive can call the information line to be prompted to speak with a nurse from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- The latest information on COVID-19 will be posted at www.worcesterma.gov/coronavirus. Since March 1 there have been approximately 27,000 visitors to both the COVID-19 landing page as well as the City of Worcester homepage. The public should continue checking these sites daily for the latest information.
- Daily media briefings will be held at 5 p.m. each day at the EOC, 2 Coppage Drive, unless otherwise announced.