COVID-19 Update for March 16; No New Cases
For Immediate Release:
3/16/2020 5:55 pm
The City of Worcester has released the following update regarding the COVID-19 situation for March 16:
- As of this morning at 8:30, the Emergency Operations Center is at FULL activation with representatives of ALL major city departments reporting here to this location.
- The City Manager continues to have daily briefings with the City Council, School Committee, Superintendent and our local legislative delegation to share the latest updates.
- As of March 16 at 5 p.m. there are no new cases of COVID-19 to report in the City of Worcester.
- There are a total of 2 presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in the City of Worcester thus far.
- Both individuals are being monitored by the Worcester Division of Public Health and remain in isolation.
- Pertaining to the 5 persons under investigation by the Worcester Division of Public Health, 4 of those 5 individuals have tested negative for COVID-19. The fifth individual is awaiting test results.
- The 3 individuals associated with North High School and Chandler Magnet School have all tested negative.
- Tomorrow the City plans to announce a plan to reduce access to City buildings including City Hall. The City Manager is reviewing a procedure to ensure that all vital services will still be provided.
- Reinforcement of the Governor’s orders effective tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17: Prohibiting gatherings of more than 25 people and prohibiting on-premises consumption of food & beverage (take out service and delivery will still be offered where available).
- The Worcester Public Schools mobile meal schedule has been posted on the WPS website. This program will begin on Wednesday, March 18.
- The new Mutual Aid Task Force met this morning for the first time.
- The City Administration continues to work with its community partners on shelter planning for the homeless and other impacted populations. The City is looking at identifying alternative facilities that could allow for more social distancing to keep these populations as safe as possible.
- Small Business Updates: The City has established a taskforce with local, state, and federal agencies and organizations to coordinate assistance. A current list of resources is available here. The City is in communications with HUD and is exploring opportunities to leverage CDBG assistance. Payments for current borrowers under the city's Microloan Program have been suspended.
- The City continues to provide the latest COVID-19 information at www.worcesterma.gov/coronavirus.
- The COVID-19 information line can be reached at 508-799-1019.
- The City will continue to host daily media briefings at 5 p.m. at the EOC. For Tuesday, March 17 only, the 5 p.m. briefing will be held at City Hall in the Levi Lincoln Chamber (third floor).