COVID-19 Update for March 14; First Positive Case
For Immediate Release:
3/14/2020 2:42 pm
The City of Worcester has announced the following updates regarding COVID-19:
- The City continues to use all of its available resources to prevent the spread of the virus. All City departments are working together and are in constant communication as more information becomes available.
- The Emergency Operation Center remains up and running and will continue to constantly monitor this situation and provide the latest information.
- The first confirmed positive case of Coronavirus in the City of Worcester has been identified. This case is related to the Biogen conference. This person is being monitored by DPH and remains in isolation.
- Five other persons under investigation in Worcester are awaiting testing and are all being monitored by the Worcester Department of Public Health.
- There are no other confirmed cases in Worcester at this time.
- Effective at the close of business on Sunday, March 15 (4:30 p.m.), the Worcester Public Library will be closed until further notice. More information will be forthcoming on specifics such as flexible return policies and virtual programs for students affected by school closures.
- The City is working to make meals available for students within the Worcester Public Schools who depend on this service when school is in attendance. A plan will be formally announced next week.
- The City Hoops program during April break and the Recreation Worcester after school program have both been canceled.
- The City is also convening a task force to leverage volunteers and organizations who want to support the vulnerable in the community who are most affected by this situation. More information on how to get involved will be released in the next few days.
- It’s important for everyone to remain aware of the most updated information and to help share that information throughout the community. The City of Worcester continues to provide the latest information at www.worcesterma.gov/coronavirus. An information line has also been established at 508-799-1019.
- The City of Worcester and all of its partner organizations are working in concert to do everything it can to manage the ever changing events as well as to keep residents as informed, safe, and healthy as possible.