TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2007
Convened: 5:34 P.M.
Adjourned: 7:34 P.M.
Present were: Chairperson Councilor Joffrey A. Smith
Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey
Councilor Dennis L. Irish
Also: DPWP Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone
DPWP Traffic Engineering Staff Ali Khorasani
DPWP Traffic Staffperson James Pacenka
Assistant City Clerk Susan M. Ledoux, clerk
HANDICAP PARKING PETITIONS
1. Miguel Toledo request handicap parking space across from 14 Hancock St.
#8o CC November 28, 2006
In Committee January 10, 2007 – Held
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
2. Janice Weekes on behalf of Christ Tabernacle Apostolic Church request to rescind existing handicap parking space in front of 1189 Main St. and install in its place two handicap parking spaces west of existing passenger zone for safety reasons and better visibility at the existing pedestrian crosswalk.
#6k CC October 31, 2006
3. Ramona LeBeau request handicap parking space in front of 3 Flower St.
#8l CC November 28, 2006
4. Dale Strom, Sr. request handicap parking spot at 31 Lancaster St.
#8n CC November 28, 2006
Petitioner requested to amend the Petition for handicap parking space across the street from 31 Lancaster St.
5. Mark Chase request to remove handicap parking space in front of 2 Rena St.
#7f CC December 12, 2006
RESIDENT PERMIT PARKING PETITIONS
6. Councilor Frederick C. Rushton on behalf of Pat Kelley request resident permit parking on Maple Tree Ln.
#18i CC October 24, 2006
7. Councilor Philip P. Palmieri on behalf of the Nuzzetti Family and the Sasso Family request residential parking on Normal St.
#14l CC November 28, 2006
8. Councilor Frederick R. Rushton request installation of Resident Sticker Parking along both sides of May St. from the driveway of Chandler Magnet School to Pleasant St.
#8c CC December 5, 2006
Request to amend the Petition to include the portion of Chandler St. in the vicinity of Worcester State College.
Chairman’s Order – Request City Manager extend an invitation to Worcester State College and Chandler Magnet School representatives to a future Traffic & Parking Committee meeting to testify relative to long term parking plans and solutions and to address neighborhood concerns.
Chairman’s Order – Request City Manager initiate a volunteer program in conjunction with the Department of Public Works & Parks to mark legal parking spaces in the vicinity of Worcester State College and Chandler Magnet School.
9. Claude Dorman request the implementation of residential parking at 38 Sever St.
#7 CC October 10, 2006
10. Courtney Edson et al request residential parking on Shirley St., from Park Ave to Florence St.
#7e CC January 2, 2007
Petitioner request to amend the petition to read Shirley St. from Birch St. to Florence St.
Chairman’s Order - Request City Manager contact Clark University and ask them to help identify their students who reside in Shirley St. from Birch St. to Florence St. so that these students can be informed that parking at this location will become resident permit parking only and that they will have to register their cars in Worcester in order for them to purchase resident sticker parking permits.
11. Councilor Barbara G. Haller request to install designated sticker parking on the west side of Sever St. along the property of the Worcester Tennis Club, May 1st through November 1st, 8:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m., 7 days per week.
#8d CC December 5, 2006
Petition amended to read from June to September.
In Committee January 10, 2007 – Held for February 5, 2007 meeting.
12. Councilor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of the Elm Park-Lincoln Estate Neighborhood Association request to change the hours for resident sticker parking on Sever St. between Hampden St. and Highland St. from a 24-hour prohibition to 5:00 p.m.-7:00 a.m.
#9k CC January 23, 2007
PARKING & PARKING METERS PETITIONS
13. Councilor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of the Elm Park-Lincoln Estate Neighborhood Association request to expand the two-hour parking restriction on the west side of Sever St. which currently encompasses the area in front of the Worcester Tennis Club to include the area immediately south to the street light pole just north of the mailbox near Dayton St., adding four parking spaces to the two-hour parking area.
#9o CC January 23, 2007
14. Councilor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of the Elm Park-Lincoln Estate Neighborhood Association request to remove the “No Parking Anytime” restriction on north side of William St. between Fruit St. and West St.
#9l CC January 23, 2007
15. Debra Aharonian, Hope Lodge Manager of the American Cancer Society, request “No Parking” sign be placed next to the driveway at 7 Oak St.
#28 CC April 25, 2006
Chairman’s Order – Request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works and Parks to install an additional “No Parking Sign” on Oak St.
16. Edith L. Morgan et al request to restore permission to park on the even-numbered side of Gilman St.
#27 CC May 2, 2006
17. Debra Mattress request No Parking Anytime on the side of 49 Pleasant Valley Dr. be removed.
#10 CC May 9, 2006
Recommend Approval for a 30’corner clearance at Country Club Blvd., a 10’ clearance at the driveway and the remainder a 24hr parking area. Also amend the ordinance to move the Handicap Parking space to the other side of the driveway.
18. Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey on behalf of Elinor Cosky request a “No Parking” sign between 109 and 111 Lake Ave.
#9j CC October 24, 2006
19. Elsie Labiosa, owner Equal Housing Mortgage Corp., 1018 Main St. request a parking sign in front of 1018 Main St. for one hour parking between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
#43 CC July 18, 2006
20. Karen Duffy, President/CEO of Worcester Credit Union request 15-minute parking meters on Main St. in the vicinity of the branch located at 315 Main St.
#6i CC October 31, 2006
MAKE STREETS ONE-WAY PETITION
21. Ronal Madnick on behalf of Centro Las Americas request to make Newbury St. a one-way St.
#20 CC February 28, 2006
MAKE STREET TWO-WAY PETITION
22. Neil Smith, President of Goldstein Scrap Metal Company, request to make two-way the portion of Lamartine St between Hermon St. and Quinsigamond Ave.
#9d CC January 23, 2007
Councilor Smith recused on a voice vote
STOP SIGN PETITIONS
23. David & Roseann Smith request Stop Signs be placed at the intersection of Coburn Ave. & Ayrshire Rd. as well as at the intersection of Coburn Ave. & Anna St.
#18 CC June 13, 2006
In Committee January 10, 2007 – Held for February 5, 2007 meeting
Chairman’s Order - Request City Manager request the Police Chief to provide speed enforcement in Coburn Ave.
Chairman’s Order - Request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works and Parks to install crosswalks with pedestrian crossing signs and any other appropriate signs to help alleviate the traffic issues in Coburn Ave.
24. Robert Hiser request to install a Stop Sign at the intersection of Idalla Rd. and Ladybank Rd.
#8b CC December 5, 2006
25. Jean Stranieri request No Turn on Red sign be placed at Lincoln St. and Country Club Blvd.
#15 CC April 6, 2004
26. Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr., request signage for 30 MPH zone on Hamilton St. between Boston Ave. and Coburn Ave.
#47 CC July 19, 2005
Recommend Approval of advisory plates on curve warning signs
27. Khanh Van Do et al request a speed limit sign on James St.
#56 CC October 11, 2005
28. Michael Barris et al request numerous “One Way” signs in addition to some “Wrong Way” signs to be installed at various locations on Chestnut St. past Elm St. going toward the court house.
#65 CC August 29, 2006
29. Kimberly McCarthy request to install “Private St., Dangerous” signs in Greenleaf Ter. at the intersection of Midland St. and Greenleaf Ter. and the intersection of Pleasant St. and Greenleaf Terrace.
#9c CC January 9, 2007
TRAFFIC SIGNAL PETITIONS
30. Colleen Herlihy on behalf of Herlihy Insurance Agency request the City evaluate the intersection of Elm St. and West St. and consider changing the light cycle, install overhead traffic lights and consider walk lights at this corner.
#8j CC November 14, 2006
31. State Representative Robert P. Spellane request the installation of a push-button activated pedestrian crossing light in Pleasant St. at Tatnuck Magnet School at the corner of Copperfield Rd.
#7e CC December 12, 2006
32. Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey request that the traffic signals at the intersection of Waverly and Grafton Sts. be reprogrammed so as to reflect changes in traffic patterns due to the closure of the grocery store and in anticipation of the drugstore opening.
#7d CC December 12, 2006