TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 29, 2006
Convened: 5:33 p.m.
Adjourned: 7:09 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councilor Joffrey A. Smith
Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey
Councilor Konstantina B. Lukes
Also: DPWP Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone
DPWP Traffic Engineering Staffperson Jim Pacenka
WPD Sgt. John Fallavolita
Assistant City Clerk Susan M. Ledoux, clerk
1. Patrick Huey request handicap parking sign at 21 Fruit Street.
#53 CC October 25, 2005
In Committee February 22, 2006 – Held
2. Herbert Gilbert request handicap parking sign in front of 169 Perry Ave.
#10 CC January 24, 2006
3. Robert Norsigian request a handicap parking space in front of 53 Fairfield Rd.
#10 CC May 16, 2006
4. Elba Grajales request handicap parking space at 40 Lakeside Ave. #4
#12 CC May 9, 2006
5. Ricardo Periera request handicap parking in front of 3 Plane Street.
#10 CC June 6, 2006
6. Paul F. Loach request handicap parking in front of 10 Camp Street.
#46 CC July 18, 2006
In Committee October 26, 2006 – Held
Petition amended to read Paul F. Loach request handicap parking in front of #9 Camp Street.
Recommend Approval of one HP space in front of house #9
7. Consuelo Robles request to remove handicap parking in front of 26 Hooper Street.
#48 CC July 18, 2006
8. Domingo Oliveras Jr. request handicap parking on 34 Princeton Street.
#49 CC July 18, 2006
9. Laura Shugart request the existing handicap parking space in front of 51 Beaver Street. be extended to two (2) handicap parking spaces.
#45 CC August 29, 2006
10. Carla Mustakangas et al request to remove 2 handicap parking spaces in front of 66 Merrick Street.
#47 CC August 29, 2006
11. Councilor Barbara G. Haller request removal of handicap parking space at 13 Home Street due to original petitioner no longer living on Home Street.
#65a CC August 29, 2006
12. Rose & Richard Davis request that handicap parking be installed in front of 137 June Street.
#15 CC September 12, 2006
13. Richard Davis request to install handicap parking between 137 and 139 June Street by tree.
#26 CC September 26, 2006
14. Nicholas G. Mastromatteo request to remove two (2) handicap parking signs in front of 17 Ellsmere Street.
#16 CC September 12, 2006
15. Councilor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of Victoria Tanacea request to install a handicap parking space across from 22 Dayton Street, at the first parking space on Dayton Street, from the corner of Fruit Street.
#27 CC September 12, 2006
16. Margaret Walsh et al request to remove handicap parking signs opposite 26 Branch Street.
#24 CC September 12, 2006
17. Theresa L. Royal request handicap parking in front of 36 Beaconsfield Rd.
#23 CC September 12, 2006
18. Heidi Bryant request to remove the handicap parking signs in front of 131 Maywood St.
#20 CC September 12, 2006
19. Jason Koutoulas request a handicap parking sign in front of 7 Shawmut St.
#22 CC October 17, 2006
20. Beverly Pietrowicz request handicap parking sign in front of 15 Louise St.
#9g CC October 24, 2006
21. Kathleen Bombredi et al request to have residential parking on Gage St. from Berkley St. to 82 Gage St.
#15 CC October 10, 2006
Recommend Approval as amended to install resident sticker parking from in Gage St., both sides, from Berkley St. to #80 Gage St.
Chairman’s Order request City Manager request the Police Chief enforce parking in the Boynton Park section of Mower St.
22. Audra Jones request stop sign at intersection of Boardman St. and Merrill Rd.
#24 CC January 6, 2004
Recommend Approval to install a Stop Sign on Boardman St. at Merrill Rd. facing northbound in Boardman St.
23. Richard Bickford request Stop Signs be placed at the intersection of 40 Fruit St. and William St.
#12 CC May 9, 2006
Chairman’s Order request City Manager request the Police Chief to enforce existing Stop Signs in the vicinity of the intersection of Fruit St. and William St.
Chairman’s Order request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works & Parks do an on-site review of the Stop Signs and Do Not Enter signs at the intersection of Fruit St. and William St.
24. Barbara White request removal of crosswalk sign in front of bus shelter at 347 Greenwood St. It is no longer relevant since the reconfiguration of the intersection.
#10 CC April 4, 2006
25. Ernest Gozdur request crosswalk signs to be installed on existing light poles at crosswalk at 273 Lincoln Street.
#61 CC August 29, 2006
26. Deborah Packard, Executive Director of Preservation Worcester, request that Cedar Street and Linden Street be more clearly signed as one-way streets in the interest of public safety.
#24 CC October 17, 2006
27. Alisha Nordin on behalf of Autumn Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center request to have a sign located on Lincoln St. on the island in front of Oriol Dr. to read “Autumn Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center”.
#16 CC February 14, 2006
Recommend Approval of two (2) directional signs
28. Rafael Leon request removal of “No Parking” signs 7am – 9am in front of the Bauhous Salon at 1351 Main St.
#8 CC January 11, 2005
29. Attorney Robert Longden on behalf of Vaios Theodorakos, Trustee of Beacon Herman Realty Trust, request to rescind the prohibition of parking on Jackson St. from LaGrange St. to Main St.
#44 CC July 19, 2005
30. Attorney Robert Longden on behalf of Vaios Theodorakos, Trustee of Beacon Herman Realty Trust, request to rescind the prohibition of parking on Beacon St. from LaGrange St. to Hermon St.
#45 CC July 19, 2005
31. Michael Murphy & Kelly Jones of Prosthetic & Orthotic Labs request removal of “No Parking” signs in front of 134 Lincoln St.
#26 CC April 25, 2006
32. Vicente Marrero, Pastor of the Spanish Church of God, request “Do No Block Driveway” or “No Parking” signs at 949 Main St.
#55 CC October 11, 2005
Recommend Approval to install “No Parking Anytime” signs in Gates St. at the driveway entrance for 949 Main St. and Recommend Approval to Prohibit Parking on the northeast side of Gates St. on both sides of driveway to the Spanish Church of the God’s lot.
33. Councilor Joseph M. Petty on behalf of Jacob Hiatt Magnet School Council request that the “No Parking” prohibition currently in place in Murray Avenue, both sides, along the entire frontage of the property of the Jacob Hiatt Magnet School, be changed to a “No Parking No Standing” zone so that idling vehicles will be disallowed, thus allowing school buses to access the area nearest the school yard.
#20 CC October 3, 2006
Recommend Approval of and Order for Supplemental Plaques “No Standing or Stopping except for Busses”.
34. Evelyn Feraud request 15 minute parking in front of 169 Lincoln St.
#18 CC May 3, 2005
Recommend Approval of 15 minute parking – 8am-5pm M-F
35. Gail Zbikowski request to reevaluate parking on Mower St. in the Boynton Park section; whether or not to ban overnight parking on both sides of Mower St. or to change the winter parking ban to prohibit parking on the odd side of the street to the even side of the street.
#52 CC October 25, 2005
In Committee April 26, 2006 – Held
Recommend Approval to install winter parking ban in odd side of Mower St. from Pleasant St. to Town Line of Paxton
36. Councilor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Jane Ashley request that the fifteen (15) minute parking in front of 1124 Pleasant St. be changed to thirty (30) minutes.
#13 CC May 9, 2006
37. Paul Rohde request to change the “No Parking Anytime” sign to “15 minute parking” sign in front of 63 Institute Rd.
#18 CC September 12, 2006
38. Councilor Philip P. Palmieri request that a centerline be painted in the full length of Coburn Ave.
#16 CC February 7, 2006
39. Kathleen Perry request redirecting the traffic flow into Lincoln St. from the Lincoln Plaza exit nearest Bickford’s Restaurant into 2 lanes turning left toward downtown and one lane turning right.
#14 CC October 10, 2006
40. Kathleen Perry request the redirecting the traffic flow into West Boylston St. from the mouth of Bourne St. by relining Bourne St. into three (3) distinct lanes: 2 lanes turning left (south onto West Boylston St.) and one turning right (north onto West Boylston St-Rte 12).
#13 CC October 10, 2006
41. Jonathan Finkelstein on behalf of the Jewish Community Center request to review the traffic conditions on Salisbury Street in the vicinity of the Jewish Community Center in order to improve any conditions which may be hazardous to automobiles and pedestrians approaching, entering and exiting the facility. Specifically, to install speed monitors, other physical improvements such as pedestrian crosswalks, police enforcement of speed limits and any other recommendations which would improve the safety for drivers and pedestrians.
#23 CC October 17, 2006
Recommend Approval of the following:
1. Request City Manager request the Police Chief enforce speeding regulations and install a speed monitor in Salisbury St. in the vicinity of the Jewish Community Center.
2. Request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works & Parks install “Watch for Pedestrian” signs in Salisbury St. in the vicinity of the Jewish Community Center.
3. Request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works & Parks to initiate a traffic study of Salisbury St. in the vicinity of the Jewish Community Center.
4. Request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works & Parks review the possibility of installing a crosswalk and pedestrian crossing signs in Salisbury St. in the vicinity of the Jewish Community Center.
5. Request City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works & Parks review the Higgins Estate issue before the Planning Board as to sidewalks and traffic controls.