TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE
AUGUST 16, 2006
Convened: 5:51 P.M.
Adjourned: 6:52 P.M.
Present were: Chairperson Councilor Joffrey A. Smith
Councilor Konstantina B. Lukes
Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey
Also: DPWP Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone
DPW Traffic Engineering Staff Ali Khorasani
WPD Sergeant John Fallavolita
Assistant City Clerk Susan Ledoux, clerk
1. Petition of Dorey Flores request to remove the bus stop in front of 19A Queen St.
#11 CC May 16, 2006
Recommend Approval as amended to move the bus stop to the empty house lot at #25
2. Petition of Joanne Markarian request No Parking Anytime signs be posted on both sides of East Mountain St. from #231 East Mountain St. to Century Dr./Clark St. intersection.
#9 CC March 22, 2005
3. Petition of John Smith request Stop sign at intersection of Eunice Ave. and Brandon Rd.
#35 CC August 17, 2004
4. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray and Councilor Frederick C. Rushton request installation of a three way stop at Hope Ave. and Webster St.
#66 CC November 1, 2005
5. Petition of Thamarai Chelvan, President of London Billiards Club, request to install either a Stop sign or Slow Down sign for public to cross from parking lot to across the street at 70 James St.
#15 CC January 11, 2006
6. Petition of Councilor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of Rev. Edward Hanlon request the installation of height limitation signage facing eastbound traffic along Cambridge St. from the four corners up to the railroad bridge crossing Cambridge St. near Kansas St. so as to avoid future truck damage to this overpass.
#8 CC February 1, 2005
7. Petition of Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey on behalf of Tony Bianco request a Not a Thru Way or Dead End sign be placed in Middlesex Ave. facing southbound traffic between #92 and #96.
#16 CC February 28, 2006
Chairmans Order Request City Manager request Director of Traffic Engineering to conduct a street survey of Middlesex Ave to determine the public way and submit it along with the deed of 96 Middlesex Ave. to the City Solicitor to review. Further, request the City Solicitor to review a similar case relative to Neil McCoy on First St. to know the difference between that case and this issue with 96 Middlesex Ave.
8. Petition of Councilor Joffrey A. Smith on behalf of Elaine Henderson request Do Not Block This Street sign on West Boylston St. at Summerhill Ave.
#9 CC June 20, 2006
9. Petition of Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey request the installation of Do Not Block This Intersection signs in Highland St. at the intersection with Main St.
#52 CC July 18, 2006
Chairmans Order request City Manager request the Director of Traffic Engineering to review the timing of traffic signals throughout the Lincoln Square area.
Chairmans Order request City Manager provide City Council with a report of the accident rates in the Lincoln Square area.
10. Petition of Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. request pedestrian signal at the corner of Plantation St. and Belmont St.
#20 CC April 12, 2005
11. Report of the Traffic & Parking Committee upon the Communication of the City Manager relative to the elimination of the traffic light at Cutler St. & Grafton St.
#179 CC June 20, 2006 Recommitted to Traffic & Parking
12. Petition of Councilor Juan Gomez on behalf of Brian Lennihan request traffic enforcement on upper Brattle St.
#42 CC July 19, 2005
13. Report of the Traffic & Parking Committee upon the Petition of Timothy P. Murray request that the No Parking Anytime prohibition along the south side of Shrewsbury Street be rescinded so that on-street parking is allowed from a point 66 east of Brackett Court, providing parking for an additional nine (9) vehicles: recommend passage of the accompanying two Ordinances.
Amend Section 42 of Chapter 13 of the Revised Ordinance of 1996 to rescind 15 Minute Parking in front of 267 Shrewsbury St. and provide for One Hour Parking 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Amend Section 42 of Chapter 13 of the Revised Ordinance of 1996 to provide for One Hour Parking 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. opposite 56 Shrewsbury St.
In City Council #156 July 18, 2006 to be Ordained - Recommitted to Traffic and Parking
14. DISCUSSION - Shrewsbury Street Parking Initiatives
Proposed Locations for consideration:
North Side of Shrewsbury St.
1. Shrewsbury St. North side from PT 66east of Brackett Ct. to Hill St.- No Parking Anytime Ordinance - Request to Rescind. Recommend Approval
2. Shrewsbury St. North side from PT 265 east of Oleum Ct. to PT 285 East of Oleum Court No Parking Reserved HP Ordinance Request to check length Recommend Hold
3. Shrewsbury St. North from PT 76 west of Seward St. to PT 58 West of Seward St. No Parking Reserved HP Request to check length Recommend Hold
4. Shrewsbury St. North PT 98 east of Seward St. to PT 149 East of Seward St. Commercial Zoned Ordinance Request to Rescind/hours? Recommend Hold
5. Shrewsbury St. South side PT 132 east of Liscomb St. to PT 203 east of Liscomb St. No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to rescind Recommend Approval
6. Shrewsbury St. South from PT 37 east of Daniels St. to PT 87 east of Daniels St. No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to Rescind - Recommend Approval
7. Shrewsbury St. North side Inbound Marshall St. 40 East of Marshall St. Bus Stop Request to Rescind Recommend Hold
8. Shrewsbury St. North side Inbound 50east of Oleum Ct. to Oleum Ct. Bus Stop Request to Rescind Recommend Hold
9. Marshall St. East side from Shrewsbury St. to Wilson St. No Parking Except Sundays/Holidays 7am-6pm Request to Rescind Recommend Approval
South Side of Shrewsbury St.
10. Shrewsbury St. South side from PT 120 east of Casco St. to PT 142east of Caso St. No Parking Reserved HP Ordinance Request to check length Recommend Hold
11. Shrewsbury St. South side from Larkin St. to PT 60 west of Larkin St. Commercial Zoned Ordinance Request change of time Recommend Hold
12. Shrewsbury St. South side from PT 177 west of Aitchison St. to PT 132 west of Aitchison St. Taxi Zoned/facing east Request to Rescind Recommend Approval
13. Shrewsbury St. South side Outbound @ Camassa Terrace pole at SW corner Bus Stop Recommend Hold
14. Shrewsbury St. South side Outbound 15 east of Adams St. ext pole #6 Bus Stop Request to Rescind Recommend Hold
15. Putnam Lane Both sides from #321 Shrewsbury St. to 1157 to RR Bridge No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to Rescind Recommend Approval to rescind No Parking zone on west side only
16. East Worcester St. South side from Pt 222 w of easterly Cross St. ext. to PT. 190 w of easterly Cross St. ext. No Parking Reserved HP Ordinance Request to check length Recommend Hold
17. East Worcester St. South side from PT 70 west of Lyon St. extended to Lyon St. No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to Rescind Recommend Approval
18. Albany St. South side from PT. 87 west of Casco St. to PT 158 west of Casco St. No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to Rescind Recommend Hold
19. Albany St. Both sides from 20 west of property line Fantasia to PT 230 west of Casco St. No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to Rescind Recommend Approval
20. Albany St. South side from Lyon St. to PT opposite the easterly of Fantasia No Parking Anytime Ordinance Request to Rescind Recommend Approval
Chairmans Order request City Manager to provide City Council with a report regarding the funding and timeline for the improvements to the various parking lot projects in the Shrewsbury St. area.