TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE
JUNE 29, 2006
Convened: 5:39 p.m.
Adjourned: 9:32 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councilor Joffrey A. Smith
Councilor Konstantina B. Lukes
Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey
Also: DPWP Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone
DPWP Staff Jim Pacenka, Ali Khorasani
WPD Sergeant John Fallavolita
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. request to remove handicap parking space at 19 Barclay St
#13a CC May 16, 2006
2. Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. request to remove handicap parking space at 44 Fairfax Rd.
#13b CC May 16, 2006
3. Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. on behalf of Carla Clark request to rescind handicap parking space in front of 11 Shepard St.
#29 CC April 25, 2006
HEARING – SIGN PETITION
4. Margaret Bizzaro request No Parking signs on Montgomery Ave. & Rosemary St. be removed.
#39 CC September 6, 2005
HEARING - TRAFFIC SIGNAL PETITION
5. Linda Bonin et al request installation of a traffic light at the corner of Southbridge St & Crompton St.
#6 CC December 20, 2005
6. Sister Mary Thomas Senckowski request removal of “Residential Parking Only” sign on North side of Richland St.
#12 CC May 14, 2002
7. Councilor Barbara G. Haller request removal of Resident Parking restrictions on Richland St.
#23 CC June 25, 2002
8. Councilor Barbara G. Haller request to remove resident parking on Richland St.
#35 CC September 9, 2003
9. Charlene Keefe, President of the Salter School, and Thomas Keefe, President of Campus Realty, Inc. request to amend Section 40 of Chapter 13 of the Revised Ordinances of 1996 to remove Resident Permit Parking requirement from the easterly side of Indian Hill Rd. from Ararat St. to the southerly lot line of 128 Indian Hill Rd. and from the westerly side of Indian Hill Rd. from Ararat St. to the southerly lot line of 155 Ararat St., and to amend Schedule XX accordingly.
#24 CC February 14, 2006
10. Dianne Schiavone et al request the installation of Resident Sticker Parking on the southerly side of Ararat St. along the frontage of the recreation fields, weekdays only, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
#30 CC April 25, 2006
11. Francis P. LaMalva request “Resident Only” parking on the southerly side of Ararat St. from the corner of Brattle St. to the city Property.
#9 CC June 6, 2006
12. Clancy Pittman et al request resident only parking on Rodney St.
#16 CC October 21, 2003
13. Debbie Harden request removal of Resident Only Parking in front of 11 Rodney St.
#10 CC March 15, 2005
14. Peter Christo request to have residential parking removed from the corner of Kendig & College Sts. to the beginning of 127 College St., only on the odd side.
#12 CC March 30, 2004
15. Bernard Wolanski request to remove resident permit parking on College St. from Kendig St. to Dutton St.
#36 CC November 22, 2005
16. George Harry et al request removal of resident permit parking on Electric St.; both sides from College St., east to dead end.
#48 CC November 15, 2005
Recommend Approval as amended so that Resident Parking Program is rescinded for the portion of Electric Street from Davenport Street to terminus, both sides, and remains in effect for the portion of Electric Street from College Street to Davenport Street.
17. Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. and Councilor Michael C. Perotto request all resident parking signage on College Hill be reviewed prior to the end of May in order to extend the time to include the summer months.
#11b CC March 22, 2005
In Committee October 11, 2005 – Held
18. John Henry request one resident parking permit for newly created zone on Spurr St.
#21 CC March 9, 2004
19. John & Linda Henry request removal of resident only parking on Spurr St. #11 CC October 26, 2004
20. Lilith Andersen request portion of Elm St. between Chestnut St. and Linden St. be redesignated as residential parking.
#10 CC March 8, 2005
21. Lilith Andersen request Linden St. be redesignated as residential parking during the day and parking be allowed in the evening.
#11 CC March 8, 2005
22. Mario Scardamaglia et al request resident parking in front of 25 Sever St.
#14 CC February 7, 2006
23. Esther & Festus Konneh request resident parking on Blanche St.
#68 CC August 12, 2003
24. Tracie & David Waller request resident only parking from #2-#11 McKinley Rd.
#13 CC October 21, 2003
In Committee September 14, 2004 – Held
25. Vincent Fricker request resident permit parking on Rockport Rd.
#51 CC November 18, 2003
26. Steven Le et al request resident permit parking on Channing St.
#26 CC January 6, 2004
Leave to Withdraw
27. Steven Le et al request resident permit parking on Catharine St
#27 CC January 6, 2004
28. Stanley Roy et al request resident permit parking on Superior Rd.
#14 CC July 6, 2004
Recommend Approval as amended to Install Resident Permit Parking in Superior Road, odd side, a distance of 250 feet from the corner of Harrington Way.
29. Councilor Philip P. Palmieri request resident only parking on Natick St.
#12c CC October 26, 2004
In Committee March 29, 2005 – Held
30. Tamela Williams request resident permit parking on the odd side of East Worcester St.
#18 CC April 26, 2005
31. George Monfreda request resident only parking on Newport St.
#69 CC August 16, 2005
32. Pamela Herbin request resident only parking at 89-87 Endicott St. only.
#32 CC September 20, 2005
Recommend Adoption of this accompanying Order that the City Manager request the Police Chief to conduct parking enforcement surveillance in the area of 89-87 Endicott Street.
33. Belinda Wooster et al request resident only parking on Home St.
#63 CC October 4, 2005
Recommend Approval as amended to install Resident Permit Parking in Home Street from Wachusett Street to Wesby Street.
34. Murilo Pereira request resident permit parking at 69 Fox St.
#65 CC November 1, 2005
35. Ramon & Cleopatra Camilo request resident permit parking near nursing home and park near 97 Houghton St.
#13 CC January 18, 2005
36. Mayor Timothy P. Murray & Councilor Thomas White on behalf of Michael Baer request residential parking only on even numbered side of Randall St from 7:00 A.M. – 3:30 P.M.
#22a CC May 24, 2005
37. William Cosenza, Jr. et al request removal of “Parking By Resident Permit Only” Signs on Dustin St. or change to Resident Parking Only 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
#32 CC September 27, 2005
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
38. Donna Carpenter request resident only parking on Hamilton St. between Dana Ave. and Delmont Ave.
#17 CC January 10, 2006
39. Frank Harwood request resident permit parking on Shamrock St.
#11 CC January 31, 2006
40. Michele DeLeo request resident permit parking at 53 Perry Ave.
#19 CC January 10, 2006
41. James Penny request resident parking on Fifth Ave.
#8 CC January 31, 2006
42. Paul Rieth request to change resident permit parking on Shaffner St. from 24 hours to 7 days a week, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. only.
#11 CC February 7, 2006
43. Lamine A. Kebeh request to extend resident sticker parking on Suffolk St. to include the area in front of #43 Suffolk St.
#21 CC February 28, 2006
Recommend Approval to extend the Resident Parking Program to include the area in front of 43 Suffolk Street.
44. Wanda Alvarez request resident parking for the area of 41King St.
#9 CC March 14, 2006
45. Debbi & Henry Holmgren et al request “Resident Parking Only” street signs on Germain St.
#31 CC April 25, 2006
46. Gregory Piscia request resident parking on Shrewsbury St. between Plum St. and Lyon St.
#12 CC May 23, 2006
47. Lucille Carrier request to install resident sticker parking for 4 vehicles in front of 296 Shrewsbury St.
#8 CC May 30, 2006
48. David Douglas request Caroline St. be changed from residential parking back to regular parking.
#25 CC April 25, 2006
49. Jeffrey Richardson request to install Resident Sticker Parking on the south side of Institute Rd. from the corner of Park Ave. westerly to Mt. Hope Terr.
#21 CC June 13, 2006
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager request the Police Chief to conduct parking enforcement surveillance in the vicinity of 143 Institute Road and also in Newport Street, especially driveway and corner clearances.
50. Mukie Porter request resident only parking from 765 Main St. to 1 Jackson St.
#23 CC June 14, 2005
Recommend Hold (Invite Frank Zitomersky to next meeting and also expanding this petition to consider installing Resident Permit Parking in both sides of Jackson Street and LaGrange Streets from Main Street to Beacon Street)
CROSSWALK - PETITION
51. Dawn E. Clark, Community Advocacy Coordinator, Center for Living & Working, Inc., request crosswalk to be placed from the driveway on High St. at the Denholm Building lot to the Fanning Trade Building on the other side of the street.
#20 CC June 13, 2006
BUS STOPS - PETITIONS
52. Mary L. MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA request to create & install a bus stop sign on the west side of North Lake Ave. across from light pole #23-81.
#11 CC May 9, 2006
53. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to install bus stops on Brooks St. at telephone poles 47 & 43.
#22 CC June 13, 2006
54. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to remove current bus stop on Brooks St at pole #42, it is at the intersection of Brooks St. and Pullman St. and is not a safe location due to the intersection.
#23 CC June 13, 2006
55. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to install two new bus stops on Mountain St. West, one on south side (outbound) of road near Brooks St. intersection on telephone pole #15 and the other on the north side of the road on telephone pole #14.
#24 CC June 13, 2006
56. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to install new bus stops on Mountain St. East at telephone poles #’s 24, 55 & 55S.
#25 CC June 13, 2006
57. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request current bus stop and new sign on Clark St. on pole #36 be moved north to pole #37 for safety concerns due to current sign’s proximity to the Tacoma St. intersection.
#26 CC June 13, 2006
58. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to install new bus stop at and across from 295 Clark St.
#27 CC June 13, 2006
59. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to install new bus stop on Lincoln St. between intersections of Boylston St. and Plantation St. on telephone poles #’s 92 and 92L.
#28 CC June 13, 2006
60. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to install two new bus stops on Cambridge St. at the corner of Freeland St. on utility pole #8, the corner of Ives St. on utility pole #4 and on both sides of street near Walter Ave. and Haynes St. intersection (Price Chopper) - poles needed.
#29 CC June 13, 2006
61. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to remove bus stop signs on Malden St. at intersection of Malden St. and Malden Terr., both sides of the road.
#30 CC June 13, 2006
62. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to remove various bus stop signs on Vernon St. between Winthrop St. and Upsala St. The remaining bus stops are more than adequate for the population served.
#31 CC June 13, 2006
63. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to reinstall two bus stop signs on pole #45 on Mountain St. East and at 107 Mountain St. East.
#32 CC June 13, 2006
64. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to reinstall two bus stop signs on Cambridge St. 55’ west of Saugus Pl. and 45’ east of Webster Sq.
#33 CC June 13, 2006
65. Mary MacInnes, Administrator for WRTA, request to reinstall Bus Stop signs on Webster St. at the following locations: 220’ north of Jacques Ave., 5’ north of Webster Sq. Fire Station (pole 4-81), pole #A3 to 50’ north of pole #A4 (opposite Fire Station) and 155’ north of Jacques Ave. Ext.
#34 CC June 13, 2006
MISCELLANEOUS - PETITIONS
66. Jaime MacFall & Erin Yokay request that the City Ordinance restricting residential parking permits be changed to accommodate out of state college students residing in Worcester during their four years of education.
#13 CC April 11, 2006
67. Joan B. Paglieroni et al request a 20 mph speed sign be placed at the corner of Ararat St. and Ridgewood Rd.
#16 CC June 13, 2006
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager request the Police Chief to install speeding surveillance in Ridgewood Road from 7:30-9:00 a.m. and 4:30 to 6:00 p.m., weekdays.