TRAFFIC AND PARKING COMMITTEE
MARCH 9, 2006
Convened: 6:04 p.m.
Adjourned: 7:30 p.m.
Councilor Konstantina B. Lukes
Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey
Also: DPW Director of Engineering Joseph Borbone
DPW Assistant Director of Engineering Ali Khorasani
DPW Engineering Staffperson James Pacenka
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Petition of Dawn Johnson et al request resident only parking on Downing St. between Park Ave. and Florence St.
#40 CC November 18, 2003
In Committee March 29, 2005 – Held
2. Petition of Milton Rosenberg et al request to make Lovell St. a one-way street from Brownell St. to Chandler St.
#15 CC October 15, 2002
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to request the Police Chief to install a speeding and stop sign surveillance detail in Lovell Street between Carlisle Street and Brownell Street, weekdays between the hours of 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.
3. Petition of Milton Rosenberg et al request speed bumps on Lovell St. between Chandler St. and Brownell St.
#7 CC October 22, 2002
In Committee October 11, 2005 – Held
4. Petition of Councillor Barbara Haller request to move bus stop in front of 1001 Main St. approximately 10 feet to accommodate a new business venture.
#89 CC August 16, 2005
5. Petition of Councillors Frederick Rushton, Joseph Petty & Michael Perotto & Mayor Timothy Murray request Bus Stop on north side of Maywood St. near intersection with Lovell St. be moved to a more easterly location in the interest of public safety.
#28 CC September 27, 2005
6. Petition of Scott LaPlante, Field Supervisor for NSTAR Gas Company, request a No Parking Tow Zone sign be placed in front of
95 Upland St. as this is the location of the natural gas receiving station serving Worcester.
#14 CC September 13, 2005
7. Petition of Scott LaPlante, Field Supervisor for NSTAR Gas Company, request a No Parking Tow Zone sign be placed adjacent to the natural gas district regulator station located in the sidewalk adjacent to 103 Fremont St., as this is a major gas regulating facility.
#15 CC September 13, 2005
8. Petition of Joseph Capone, Chair, Civic Center Commission request installation of 40’ of 20 minute parking on south side of Foster St. near intersection of Worcester Center Blvd. and across from DCU Center to allow DCU patrons to pick up tickets from the box office.
#60 CC October 4, 2005
Recommend Approval as amended to install 2 20 minute parking spaces in the existing HP zone weekdays only from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
9. Petition of Councillor Barbara Haller request the Commissioner of Public Works repaint the crosswalk in Main St. at Marble St. as soon as the weather permits.
#11 CC March 22, 2005
10. Petition of Councillors Frederick Rushton, Joseph Petty & Michael Perotto & Mayor Timothy Murray request crosswalks in Lovell St. in vicinity of Columbus Park School be repainted.
#30 CC September 27, 2005
11. Petition of Councillors Frederick Rushton, Joseph Petty & Michael Perotto & Mayor Timothy Murray request Children Go Slow signs be installed in Englewood Ave. & Circuit Ave. East near entrance driveway to Knights of Columbus facility.
#29 CC September 27, 2005
12. Petition of Councillor Frederick Rushton on behalf of Columbus Park Neighborhood Association request to install a Go Slow Children and Speed Limit signs on Ferdinand St. and Englewood Ave.
#54 CC October 25, 2005
13. Petition of Frederick Rushton on behalf of Jack Judge request two Stop signs be installed in Lovell St.; one facing southbound traffic at corner of Maywood St. and the second facing northbound traffic at corner of Ferdinand St.
#41 CC November 22, 2005
14. Petition of Councillor Joffery A. Smith on behalf of John Atlas request the installation of two Stop signs; one facing westbound traffic on Parkton Ave. at the intersection of Chester St., and, another facing westbound traffic on Chester St. at the intersection of Parkton Ave.
#10 CC February 7, 2006
Recommend Approval of the following:
Installation of a Stop Sign in Chester Street facing westbound traffic at Parkton Avenue be removed.
Installation of a Yield Sign in Chester Street facing westbound traffic at Chester Street.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to request the Commissioner of the Department of Public Works to work with local colleges to request that college students consider undertaking a thorough review of the traffic flows and regulations in the northwest quadrant of the City and make recommendations for improvements.