TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE
APRIL 27, 2004
Convened: 5:20 P.M.
Adjourned: 7:00 P.M.
Present: Councillor Frederick Rushton, Chairman
Councillor Philip Palmieri
Councillor Thomas White
Joseph Borbone, Director, Traffic Engineering
Jim Pacenka, Traffic Engineering
Mary Babbidge, Assistant City Clerk
1. Petition of Councillor Barbara G. Haller request “Handicap Parking, Do Not Park or Block, $200 Fine” sign or similar to be placed at entrance to 2 Lafayette Place, to provide adequate access for an ambulance.
#14 CC June 3, 2003
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
2. Petition of Councillor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of Lafayette Place Tenants Association request to remove two handicap parking spaces on the east side of Harding St. near Lafayette St.; to remove the “15 minute parking 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM” restriction on each side of the handicap ramp of 2 Lafayette St. and replace them with two handicap parking spaces.
#71 CC August 12, 2003
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
Chairman’s Order – Request Administration provide increased enforcement of traffic regulations on Lafayette St.
3. Petition of Chris Weber request to designate two of the existing diagonal parking spaces on Chandler St. at the Jesse Burkett Field as handicap.
#16 CC September 16, 2003
Recommend approval of No Parking area at driveway to the field and two handicap parking spaces to the east of the No Parking area.
4. Petition of Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Marie Plante request handicap parking at corner of Hamilton St. & Coburn Ave. next to Coburn softball field.
#22a CC March 9, 2004
Recommend approval of handicap parking from 20’ north of Bigelow-Davis Parkway for 18’ from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Petitioner Location In City Council
5. Ann Umphrey et al 27 Elliott St. #14 CC 5/14/02
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
6. Ann Umphrey et al Elliott St. #55 CC 8/12/03
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
7. Gordon Ward et al Thorne St. #26 CC 9/24/02
Councillor White recused – Recommend approval of resident parking for 50’ on odd side of Thorne St. from corner of Plantation & Thorne Sts.
8. Anthony Maciag et al Rankin St. (both sides) #39 CC 9/24/02
9. Councillor Barbara G. Haller 40-42 Camp St. #15 CC 6/10/03
10. Janice Hinson et al 6 Berkeley St. #23 CC 9/23/03
11. Michael Macaruso et al 39 Eastern Ave. #22 CC 9/23/03
Recommend approval of resident only parking on Eastern Ave. from Berkeley St. to Prospect St.
12. Francine Gallati et al In front of #21 CC 9/23/03
41 Eastern Ave.
Placed on file
13. Barbara Carmody et al Buckingham St. #16b CC 10/7/03
Councillor Palmieri recused – Recommend approval both sides, 24 hours
14. Petition of Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes on behalf of Bruce Karlin, M.D. request that the tow zone sign in front of 210 Lincoln St. be removed and replaced by a no parking sign.
#53 CC July 16, 2002
Recommend approval No Parking Anytime, west side of Lincoln St. 50’ north of driveway and 100’ south of driveway at 210 Lincoln St.
15. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham & Councillor Barbara G. Haller request an additional “No Parking” zone be added to the existing corner clearance on both sides of Fairfield St. at the intersection of May St. in the interest of public safety.
#12 CC March 25, 2003
Recommend approval 30’ No Parking area at corner of Fairfield St. at May St., both sides
16. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham request that the No Parking prohibition that exists on the even side of Hadwen Rd. between Chandler & South Flagg Sts. be extended to June St. so that No Parking is allowed along the entire even numbered side of road.
#12 CC May 27, 2003
17. Petition of Councillor Barbara G. Haller request “No Parking from Here to Corner” sign on the west side of Bigelow St. near Sigel St. (27 Sigel St. side) to eliminate visibility problems on Sigel St. caused by a truck that regularly parks on Bigelow St. near the intersection of Sigel St.
#70 CC August 12, 2003
Recommend approval 30’ No Parking area at southwest corner of Bigelow St. at Sigel St.
18. Petition of Councillor Juan Gomez request No Parking on northerly side or opposite side of Plantation St. across from Roberto Clemente Field.
#17c CC October 14, 2003
19. Petition of Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Father Hanlon, Sacred Heart Church request No Parking on Pitt St.
#12b CC October 28, 2003
Recommend approval 100’ from Cambridge St. on Pitt St.
20. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham on behalf of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mackintire request the installation of inbound and outbound bus stops on Prouty Lane at the intersection of Brewster Rd.
#35 CC September 24, 2002
21. Petition of Councillor Barbara Haller request bus stop in area near street lamp across from 399 Southbridge St. Further request bus stop be added to #10 & #25 bus run so as to facilitate employees who work in the Southbridge St. area.
#60 CC August 12, 2003
22. Petition of Chris Weber request installation of crosswalk on Chandler St. at Jesse Burkett Field.
#18 CC September 16, 2003
In Committee October 14, 2003 – Held
23. Petition of Jennifer Shea, Co-owner/Manager Shea’s Diner request one hour parking in front of 301 Grove St. between 6:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
#14 CC November 25, 2003
24. Petition of Edward Carpenter request for immediate removal of unwarranted stop signs along Commonwealth Ave. & Boston Ave.
#21 CC September 5, 2000
25. Petition of Councillor Stephen Patton request 4-way stop sign at Amherst St. at Chippewa Rd.
#13a CC May 7, 2002
26. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham on behalf of Timothy Bombard request the installation of stop signs in Morningside Rd. facing both north and south bound traffic at Hadwen Rd.
#17 CC October 15, 2002
Chairman’s Order – Request Administration explore possible safety devices that might assist with traffic issues on Morningside Rd.
27. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray & Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request Stop sign at the intersection of Harrington Way & Franklin St.
#21a CC December 3, 2002
28. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request Stop sign at corner of Franklin St. and Harrington Way.
#12a CC October 28, 2003
29. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray on behalf of Kathleen Dunley request 4-way stop at intersection of Coolidge Rd. & Copley Rd.
#54 CC November 18, 2003
Recommend approval to change existing Stop signs to be located on Coolidge Rd. at Copley Rd.
30. Petition of Deborah Cary, Dir. of Broadmeadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary & Conservation Center request to place 10 to 12 “Lead In” signs directing the public to the “Sanctuary in the City” located on Massasoit Rd.
#12 CC October 21, 2003
31. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray & Councillor Philip Palmieri on behalf of William Stock, Seven Hills Foundation, request “Slow” traffic signs at the off ramp from I-290 where it merges onto Hope Ave.
#26c CC December 16, 2003
Recommend approval of advisory Caution and Merge signs
32. Petition of Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes on behalf of George Hanna request traffic study of volume, speed and accidents in the Carter Rd., Moreland St. & Brewer St. vicinity.
#16 CC May 8, 2001
In Committee February 26, 2003 – Held (for report from Traffic Engineering)
33. Petition of Councillor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of residents of Ashmont Ave. and Arwick Ave. request to correct traffic situation on Ashmont Ave. and Arwick Ave. to prevent trucks from using these residential streets so as to cause property damage, including consideration of placing posts along property lines and/or declaring the area resident only parking.
#10b CC February 4, 2003
34. Petition of Attorney Robert E. Longden on behalf of Goldstar Partners, LLC request the City of Worcester enter into a prior agreement to (1) install a new traffic signal at the intersection of Grove St. and West Boylston St. and make certain other improvements to such intersection and (2) make certain improvements to Gold Star Blvd. at its intersection with Distributor Road.
#76 CC August 12, 2003
Hold to May 4, 2004 meeting
35. Petition of Attorney Robert Longden on behalf of Princeton Development, LLC requests City of Worcester enter into a prior agreement and/or necessary Traffic Control Agreements with Princeton Development, LLC and/or other necessary parties: (1) to install a new traffic signal & stop sign on Putnam Lane; (2) install a stop line on Putnam Lane approach to intersection of Putnam Lane & Franklin St.; (3) make certain other traffic related improvements in & to Putnam Lane as set forth in a Definitive Site Plan Approval decision of the Planning Board.
#15 CC January 13, 2004
36. Petition of Attorney Robert Longden on behalf of Grafton Partners, LLC request to enter into a prior agreement and/or necessary traffic control agreements to construct certain traffic improvements within the public ways of Grafton St., Waverly St. and Penn Ave.
#20 CC April 13, 2004
37. Petition of Joe Marrone, Northworks Bar & Grille & Mitch Terricciano, Tianno’s Restaurant request removal of parking meters at 1050 & 1051 Grove Street and replace with No Parking Commercial Loading Zone (7 am – 5 pm).
#43 CC November 18, 2003