TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE
OCTOBER 14, 2003
Convened: 5:07 p.m.
Adjourned: 6:55 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr.
Councillor Dennis L. Irish @ 5:20 p.m.
Also: Deputy Cmsnr. DPW Andrew Murch
Deputy Director Traffic Engineering @ DPW Ali Khorasani
Traffic Engineering Staff @ DPW James Pacenka
Worcester Police Captain Ed Ashe
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. James Whalen request handicap parking in front of 38 Woodford St.
#18 CC November 26, 2002
In Committee July 24, 2003 – Held
2. Leone Milan request handicap parking in front of 112 Stanton St.
#20 CC May 13, 2003
In Committee September 16, 2003 – Held for view by Admin.
3. Councillor Stephen G. Abraham request handicap parking at 312 June St. at corner of Deering Dr.
#14a CC March 11, 2003
4. David Douglas on behalf of Cecile Douglas request handicap parking space at 11 Caroline St.
#9 CC June 17, 2003
5. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request removal of No Parking zone on Castle St.
#13e CC May 7, 2002
Recommend lifting the parking restrictions on the even side of Castle
6. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request removal of No Parking zone on King St.
#13f CC May 7, 2002
7. Carlos Fuget & Stephen Beatty of Best Western Executive Inn & Suites et al request that no parking between 6:00A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Monday-Friday be posted on the west side of Oriol Dr. for first quarter mile beginning at Lincoln St.
#10 CC January 14, 2003
8. Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request No Parking at 51 Ingleside Ave.
#13a CC February 25, 2003
9. Daniel Sullivan, National Glass Works, Inc. request No Parking Zone at our existing driveway edge at 103 Winfield St. and extend fifteen feet.
#10 CC March 18, 2003
Recommend Approval to extend No Parking zone on east side of Winfield St. an additional fifteen feet in a northerly direction, 6 am to 6 pm, Mondays through Saturdays only
10. Don Bergstrom request No Parking on Sidewalk sign at property line between 8 & 10 Whittier St.
#16 CC April 29, 2003
11. Mayor Timothy P. Murray on behalf of Earl Massey request No Parking sign be placed between Plymouth St. and the driveway of 50 Washington St.
#17 CC May 27, 2003
12. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request No Parking Zone on even side of street from Plymouth St. past gate at 50 Washington St.
#14 CC March 11, 2003
13. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request installation of 30 minute parking meters along both sides of Main St. from Madison St. to Charlton St.
#9a CC January 21, 2003
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
14. Councillor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of Alice Lombardi, Bean Counter Coffee Bar request to eliminate the commercial loading zone around 117 Highland St. and to install parking meters in its place.
#14 CC May 27, 2003
15. Alice Lombardi, Bean Counter request the bus stop be removed and parking meters be installed to create more parking for customers of the Bean Counter at 113 Highland St.
#13 CC February 25, 2003
16. George Bogoian request Resident Permit Parking on Florence St. from #48 to Downing St.
#16 CC June 10, 2003
Recommend Hold for the October 28th, 2003 meeting. Amend petition to extend requested Resident Sticker Parking Zone to include the entire west side of Florence Street from Charlotte to Downing Street. NEW NOTICES needed for new distance
17. Mayor Timothy P. Murray & Councillor Stephen T. Patton request Traffic Engineer consider changing the policy of routing traffic through Whitmarsh Ave. as the cut-through from Burncoat St. to West Boylston St.
#16 CC October 1, 2002
18. John Bartosiewicz, Vice President, PNI Club, request the removal of the No Parking Zone in Harding St. at the side door of the Polish Naturalization Independent Club @ 290 Millbury St., and installation in place, thereof, on-street parking spaces.
#16 CC June 3, 2003
19. Mayor Timothy P. Murray on behalf of Joseph Pearson & Donald Bradway request that parking be allowed only on one side of Benson Ave. year round.
#12 CC June 24, 2003
Recommend Approval of Installation of No Parking on Benson Avenue, even side, from Knight Street to the dead end
Chairman’s Order request that Benson Avenue from Lincoln Street to Knight Street be made a public street.
20. Councillor Barbara G. Haller on behalf of Paul Chapdelaine request for a permanent winter parking ban on Oread St., from Main St. to Beacon St.
#13 CC May 27, 2003
21. Antonio Corapi request one-hour parking limit in front of 281 Shrewsbury St.
#18 CC June 3, 2003
22. Leo Rossi request No Parking from 365 Lake Ave. to corner of Randolph St.
#11 CC March 25, 2003
23. Dr. Sam Tanoglu et al request bus stop be moved from in front of 191 Burncoat St.
#19 CC May 27, 2003
24. Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Albert Ritacco request crosswalk at 60 Plantation St., adjacent to bus stop.
#77a CC August 12, 2003
25. Khamiya Richardson et al request Children sign in the area of Boys & Girls Club of Worcester, 2 Ionic Ave.
#73 CC August 12, 2003
26. Khamiya Richardson et al request crosswalk in front of the Boys & Girls Club of Worcester at 2 Ionic Ave. be repainted.
#75 CC August 12, 2003
Chairman’s Order request that the crosswalk approved for installation in Ionic Avenue at the Worcester Boys and Girls Club be given the same priority as that of school zones, playground and places of worship.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager report to the City Council the inventory of crosswalks that need repainting.
27. Mayor Timothy P. Murray on behalf of David Tencza request crosswalk be painted on Ionic Ave. in front of the Boys & Girls Club.
#61 CC August 12, 2003
28. Joanne Ethier, Principal, St. Peter-Marian Central Catholic Jr. High School request crosswalk be installed from Drummond Ave. across Grove St.
#47 CC September 9, 2003
Recommend Hold as First Item for the October 28th, 2003 meeting
29. Joanne Ethier, Principal St. Peter-Marian Central Catholic Jr. High School request school zone signage for St. Peter Marian Central Catholic Jr. High School at 751 Grove St.
#46 CC September 9, 2003
Recommend Hold as the Second Item for the October 28th, 2003 meeting
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager report to the City Council regarding the installation of a traffic signal in Grove Street (State Route 122A) at the intersection of Drummond Avenue.
30. Chris Weber request installation of crosswalk on Chandler St. at Jesse Burkett Field.
#18 CC September 16, 2003
31. Chris Weber request installation of fluorescent Playground signs in both directions on Chandler St. at the Jesse Burkett Field.
#19 CC September 16, 2003
32. Chris Weber request to remove diagonal parking spaces on Chandler St. at the Jesse Burkett Field that may be blocking driveway access.
#17 CC September 16, 2003
33. Karen Ludington & Charles Weiss, Children’s Friend Inc. request “Slow Children” sign at 20 Cedar St. and crosswalk connecting 20 & 21 Cedar St.
#13 CC June 3, 2003
34. Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request the installation of a Children sign in the mid section of Sherbrook Ave.
#45 CC September 9, 2003
35. Councillor Paul P. Clancy Jr. on behalf of Gina Alubavicius request Caution Children signs on Indiana St., near the intersection of Brightwood Ave.
#12 CC June 17, 2003
36. Nayda Viruet request Deaf Child signs be posted at and near 28 Great Brook Valley Ave.
#18 CC May 27, 2003
37. Mayor Timothy Murray request installation of Deaf Child signage along Bailey St. as well as the rotary near the entrance of Bailey St.
#13a CC June 24, 2003
38. Jaime & Shirley Fuentes et al request to place a “Deaf Child” sign on or about 49 Circuit Ave. North.
#67 CC August 12, 2003
39. James Broderick, MacKoul Sign & Lighting request to install (8) directional signs for the purpose of directing the public to the American National Red Cross Donation Center @ 381 Plantation St.
#16 CC May 27, 2003
40. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request “Caution Pedestrian Crossing” sign or similar to be placed on Hammond St., north-side just past Beacon St., between Beacon St. & 12 Hammond St.
#15 CC June 3, 2003
41. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request “Go Slow Park Activity” signs on Crystal St.
#16 CC July 1, 2003
42. Edward Sullivan request a “Not a Truck Route” sign and a directional sign to Holden be installed at the bottom of Ararat St. where it meets Brattle St. and one at the fork of Brattle and Holden Sts.
#77 CC August 12, 2003
Chairman’s Order request the Director of Traffic Engineering to meet with the Massachusetts Highway Department to discuss installation of appropriate additional signage at I-190 that will control/direct truck traffic away from the residential neighborhood on Ararat, Brattle and Holden Streets.
43. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request “Not a Truck Route” signs on Crystal St.
#15 CC July 1, 2003
44. Tara Modig request speed limit signs on May St. from Park Ave. up to June St. and also a Caution Blind Driveway sign for 172 May St.
#56 CC August 12, 2003
45. Vincent & Monica McLeod et al request a “Blind Driveway” sign be placed close to 38 Upland St.
#32 CC September 9, 2003
46. Attorney Robert E. Longden on behalf of Worcester Supermarket, LLC request to enter into a prior agreement with the City of Worcester to install a new traffic signal at the intersection of Pullman St. and West Mountain St. as set forth in a Site Plan Approval Decision of the Worcester Planning Board dated March 13, 2002.
#19 CC December 3, 2002
In Committee February 26, 2003 – Held
Recommend Approval in accordance with a Prior Agreement; all costs to be incurred by petitioner
47. Mayor Timothy P. Murray & Councillor Stephen T. Patton request Traffic Engineer consider lowering the speed limit on Whitmarsh Ave. from 30 mph to 20 mph.
#15 CC October 1, 2002
48. Mayor Timothy P. Murray request double yellow lines on Chester St. from Parkton St. to Bjorklund St.
#18a CC June 3, 2003
49. Councillor Barbara G. Haller request establishing a 10 MPH zone on Camp St. in area from Cambridge St. to end of street, running past South Worcester Neighborhood Center.
#16a CC July 1, 2003
50. Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Richard Fields request 30 minute parking in front of First Time Used Cars, 2 Putnam Lane.
#39 CC September 9, 2003
Chairman’s Ordinance Request the installation of a Stop Sign in Nebraska Street at the intersection with Putnam Lane.
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER
51. Relative to the “Get Tough Policy”.
#20B CM April 15, 2003
52. Relative to Proposed Traffic Signal Deactivations.
#24D CM April 15, 2003
53. Requesting City Council accept with gratitude a donation of $1067.00 from Wyman Gordon Company, for maintenance and upkeep of the traffic signal located at Madison and Gold Streets.
In City Council June 17, 2003 #23E CM – Order Adopted with Gratitude
In Committee for Informational Purposes Only
54. Relative to Traffic Control Agreement “Pricechopper”.
In City Council July 1, 2003 #23B CM – Order adopted.
In Committee for Informational Purposes Only
Recommend Make Permanent the existing 90 Day Trials that have expired.
55. Relative to handicap parking – 50 Ludlow St.
#23O CM August 12, 2003
Recommend rescind the existing HP space in front of 50 Ludlow Street
56. Relative to approved traffic signage.
#23J CM August 12, 2003
57. Relative to Traffic Control on Murray Ave.
#23B CM September 9, 2003
58. Relative to operating motorized scooters on public streets.
#15B CM September 9, 2003
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to inform the City Council how he is coordinating information to the Worcester Police Department concerning motorized scooters in the public ways of the City.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager update the City Council concerning the approved conversion of Pearl Street to a two-way street.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager update the City Council concerning the approved installation of diagonal parking in the north end of Main Street.
Chairman’s Order request the Police Chief to install surveillance vehicles at the following locations and for the following reasons:
51 Ingleside Avenue parking within the driveway clearance violations
8 and 10 Whittier Street parking on the sidewalk violations
Ararat, Brattle and Holden Sts. “Not a Truck Route” violations
Whitmarsh Avenue Speed violations