TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE MEETING
MAY 15, 20003
ROOM 310, CITY HALL
Convened: 6:02 p.m.
Adjourned: 8:02 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr.
Councillor Barbara G. Haller
Also: Assistant Director of Traffic Engineering, DPW, Ali Khorasani
Traffic Engineering Staffperson, DPW, James Pacenka
WPD Captain Edward Ashe
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
Petitioner Location Date
1. Karen Ludington & 20 Cedar St. #21 CC 10/8/02
Thomas Millott, (2 Spaces)
Children’s Friend, Inc.
2. Nancy Allen, Commission 113 Merrifield St. #21 CC 11/12/02
For the Blind on behalf of
3. John Adjami Fern St. side of #12 CC 1/7/03
488 Park Ave.
4. Louise Godin 48 Arlington St. #10 CC 2/4/03
Recommend Hold as First Item for the June 4th, 2003 meeting. At the request of the Traffic Engineering Division, change the request for installation of a HP space for in front of 45 Arlington Street.
5. Maritza Velazquez 34 Newbury St. #7 CC 2/11/03
(Install) 78 Russell St.
Recommend Hold as Second Item for the June 4th, 2003 meeting. At the request of the petitioner, change the request for installation of a HP space for in front of 81 Russell Street.
6. Joan M. Desautels 4 Harlow St. #10 CC 3/4/03
Petitioner Location Date
7. William Bibaud et al East side of #16 CC 1/7/03
Harding St. from
Franklin St. to Canton
St. from 6:00 P.M. to
Recommend Approval for installation of Resident Sticker Parking in east side of Harding Street from Harrison Street to Kelley Square.
8. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham request installation of diagonal parking spaces along the 300 ft. of frontage of the southerly side of Chandler St. in front of the home field of the Jesse Burkett Little League, 540 Chandler St.
#82 CC August 20, 2002
9. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham request the installation of a commercial loading zone on the east side of Walworth St. between Chandler & Courtland Streets.
#27 CC September 24, 2002
Recommend Approval for installation of a Commercial Loading Zone on the
east side of Walworth Street a distance of 180 feet from the corner of
10. Petition of Michael Galvin request the strict parking enforcement for the Passenger Zone located on Worcester Center Blvd. in front of the Centrum Centre which is now the Handicap Drop-off Zone due to construction at the Foster St. entrance.
#19 CC October 8, 2002
11. Petition of Jesus Morfe, MX Computer Services request the removal of the Commercial Loding Zone on the west side of Water St. in front of 96-96A Water St., and in place thereof, install a 15 minute parking zone for 2 vehicles.
#12 CC February 25, 2003
Recommend Approval as amended for installation of 2 30-minute parking meters in west side of Water Street in front of 96-96A.
12. Petition of William Bibaud et al request to have the Winter Parking Ban switched from permanent to declared on Harding St. from Franklin St. to Canton St. or from Harrison St. to Kelly Sq.
#15 CC January 7, 2003
Recommend Approval for the section of Harding Street between Harrison
Street and Kelley Square only.
13. Petition of Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Cheryl Mita request right turn only on Wawecus Rd. between 7:30 a.m. & 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
#10a CC February 4, 2003
Recommend Hold for report from Traffic Engineering Division of DPW and also from Worcester Police Department.
14. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri on behalf of Sean Archadi, Clearview Auto request the relocation of the newly installed traffic signal in front of 618 Lincoln St. so that it does not obstruct the sidewalk.
#19 CC January 15, 2002
15. Petition of Attorney Robert E. Longden on behalf of R.K. Worcester Realty Assoc., LLC request City of Worcester enter into a prior agreement with R.K. Worcester Realty Assoc., LLC and/or other necessary parties for installation of a new traffic signal on Greenwood St. near the intersection of Greenwood St. and Route 20, at Petitioner’s sole cost and expense.
#21 CC April 29, 2003
Recommend Approval to enter into Prior Agreement. All work including recording fees to be paid by petitioner.
16. Petition of Thomas Gannon and Chris Brown request removal of taxi stand from in front of 1008 Main St. (Longfellow Manor Apts.) to provide parking for tenants of building.
#72 CC August 20, 2002
17. Petition of Michael Galvin request diagonal pavement stripes in the Passenger Zone located on Worcester Center Blvd. in front of the Centrum Centre.
#20 CC October 8, 2002
18. Petition of Joseph Borbone, Dir. of Traffic Engineering, DPW request to change the traffic pattern on Plum St. so as to accommodate two-way traffic at the southerly end of the street and to extend the no parking area on the west side of the street.
#10 CC December 10, 2002
Recommend Approval of two-way traffic at southerly end of Plum, and one way traffic from Shrewsbury Street to East Worcester Street for the remainder of the street.
19. Petition of Representative John Fresolo request the Commissioner of Public Works to recommend to the Traffic & Parking Committee any improvements that might be made to improve the safety of motorists entering & exiting the Twin Oaks condominium buildings at 1199-1203 Grafton St.
#17 CC January 7, 2003
Recommend Approval for installation of one 30 MPH Thickly Settled and 2 Do Not Block Driveway signs and corresponding Stop Bars in Grafton Street at the approach to driveways at 1199 and 1203 Grafton Street.
20. Petition of Councillor Barbara G. Haller & Councillor Stephen G. Abraham on behalf of Dorrina Russell request Children signs in the area of 30 Apricot St.
#10b CC January 14, 2003
21. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request installation of an over-sized sign directing motorists onto Shrewsbury St. to be added to the existing Downtown directional sign located at the intersection of Belmont, Shrewsbury and Aitchison Sts. Also on existing Downtown sign on Belmont St. at intersection of Belmont St. and Shrewsbury Sts.
#60 CC February 5, 2002
22. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request installation of “Blind Person” sign at corner of McKinley Rd. & Lincoln St.
#9a CC January 28, 2003
23. Petition of Christine Francoeur request a road mirror on North Lake Ave. across from 4 Nana Trail to assist vehicle traffic with blind driveway & neighborhood traffic entering/exiting Nana Trail & adjoining Natural History Dr.
#22 CC September 24, 2002
Recommend Hold for the June 4th, 2003 meeting as Third Item
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER
24. Relative to Traffic Light Timing on Lincoln Street at Beverly Road.
#24H CM January 7, 2003
25. Relative to Shrewsbury St. Parking Enforcement.
#24J CM January 7, 2003
26. Relative to How Many Officers Doing Traffic Enforcement.
#20A CM January 14, 2003
27. Relative to Tagging Illegally Parked Vehicles.
#20B CM January 14, 2003
28. Relative to the Feasibility of making Pearl Street a Two-Way Street.
#24C CM March 4, 2003
Recommend Approval of two-way Pearl Street.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to include $7,000.00 in funds in the Fiscal Year 2004 budget for the conversion of Pearl Street from one-way to two-way traffic.
29. Relative to 15 Minute Parking Meters.
#24C CM March 18, 2003
30. Relative to Traffic Control Fairfield Street/Corner of May Street.
#24D CM March 18, 2003
Recommend Hold for the June 4th, 2003 meeting as Fourth Item.
31. Relative to Parking on Park View Drive.
#24F CM March 18, 2003
32. Relative to Widths of Ingleside Ave., Fairmont Ave., Puritan Ave. and Pilgrim Ave.
#24B CM April 29, 2003
Recommend Hold for a future Traffic and Parking Committee meeting as a
hearing in the Grafton Hill neighborhood for consideration of reversing the
one-way directions of Ingleside Avenue and Fairmont Avenue.