TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE MEETING
FEBRUARY 26, 2003
Convened: 7:02 p.m.
Adjourned: 9:41 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr.
Councillor Barbara G. Haller
Councillor Denis L. Irish
Councillor Juan A. Gomez
Councillor Stephen T. Patton
Also: Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone
Traffic Engineering Staff Ali Khorasani
Traffic Engineering Staff James Pacenka
Police Captain Edward Ashe
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
Petitioner Location Date
1. Larry Agnew 18 Walnut St. or area #18 CC 10/8/02
at the meter on Harvard
St. closest to Walnut St.
Recommend Approval of installation of one space.
2. Ann Marie Ramsey 8 Everard St. #9 CC 10/29/02
Recommend Approval of installation of one space across from #8.
RESIDENT PERMIT PARKING
3. Petition of Laura DiBenedetto et al request to remove existing parking meters and replace with Resident Only Parking at 1-3 Cedar St. Also that the “Emergency Artery” be removed from the presently metered side of the street.
#16 CC October 23, 2001
In Committee August 13, 2002 - held
Recommend removal of meters on the west side of Chestnut Street and
installation of resident sticker parking in place thereof from Elm Street
to Bowdoin Street and that signage concerning winter parking ban be
installed as well.
1. Elizabeth O’Donnell, 3 Cedar Street, Worcester
2. Laura DiBenedetto, 3 Cedar Street, Worcester
3. Matthew Spillane
Chairman’s Order request the Administration consider opening the
downtown garages and surface parking lots for overnight parking for
residents in the downtown neighborhoods.
4. Petition of Andrea Esteves et al request resident permit parking for lower half of Channing St. behind Memorial Hospital.
#11 CC October 29, 2002
5. Petition of Anna Zavras request resident parking permit for residents of Walnut St. on Walnut St. or Harvard St.
#13 CC September 10, 2002
In Committee November 18, 2002 – held
Recommend removal of meters on the west side of Harvard Street and
installation of resident sticker parking in place thereof from Walnut
Street to William Street and that signage concerning the winter parking
ban be installed as well.
Chairman’s Order request the Administration consider allowing
Walnut Street residents to park in the newly designated resident sticker
parking area on the west side of Chestnut Street between Elm Street
and Harvard Street.
1. Anna Zavras, 246 Salisbury Street, Worcester
MAKE STREETS ONE WAY
6. Petition of Karen Ricardi request Gage St. from Eastern Ave. to Berkeley St. be made one-way.
#17 CC April 24, 2001
7. Petition of Attorney Robert E. Longden on behalf of Charter Realty & Development Corp. request to change Waverly St., a public street, from a two-way street to a one way street running westerly from Waverly Street’s intersection with Grafton St. to its intersection with Coral St.
#20 CC December 3, 2002
1. Ray Grimaldo, 1 Jefferson Drive, Shrewsbury
2. Frank Statkus, 320 Lake Street, Shrewsbury
3. Rev. Jakubauskus, St. Casimir’s Pastor, Worcester
4. Elizabeth O’Donnell, 3 Cedar Street, Worcester
8. Petition of Rev. Aved Terzian, Armenian Church of Our Saviour request One Hour Parking Zone be installed on the south side of Salisbury St. from a point 20 feet west of the driveway at 91 Salisbury St. easterly to the beginning of the existing Passenger Zone.
#14 CC January 7, 2003
Recommend Approval as requested
9. Reconsideration of Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. - Chairman’s Order Request Director of Traffic Engineering to post “No Parking 20 Ft. to Corner” sign in Dorchester St. near the intersection of Dorchester St. and Vernon St.
#5 CC January 28, 2003
1. Rev. Joseph Adamo, 48 Vernon Street, Worcester
2. Rev. Conrad, 48 Vernon Street, Worcester
3. Sr. Mary Thomas Senckowski, 34 Dorchester Street, Worcester
10. Petition of Attorney Robert E. Longden on behalf of Charter Realty & Development Corp. request to enter into a prior agreement with the City of Worcester to install a new traffic signal on Grafton St. at its intersection with Waverly St. and Penn Ave. and to make certain other improvements to Grafton St. as set forth in a Site Plan Approval Decision of the Worcester Planning Board dated November 20, 2002.
#21 CC December 3, 2002
11. Petition of Madeline Martin et al request to prohibit commercial trucks (excluding residents) over 2-1/2 tons on Northboro St.
#13 CC October 16, 2001
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
1. Henry Martin, 25 Northboro Street, Worcester
2. Madeline Martin, 25 Northboro Street, Worcester
3. Michael Block, Wayside Road, Westborough
4. James Gentile, 2 Wabash Avenue, Worcester
Chairman’s Order request that “Not a Truck Route” signs and “alternate route” signs be installed at corner of Plantation and Northboro Street.
MAKE STREET ONE WAY
12. Petition of Councillor Juan A. Gomez on behalf of Geraldo Maldonado, Chairman of the Jacob Hiatt Magnet School Council request Murray Ave. from Piedmont St. to Wellington St. be made one way.
#9 CC February 6, 2001
Recommend Hold for a full-blown hearing at which time all interested parties and affected parties need to be notified.
1. Geraldo Maldonado, 238 Lincoln Street, Worcester
2. Tony Caputo, Principal, Jacob Hiatt Magnet School
3. Thomas Hyde, 16 Indian Lake Parkway, Worcester
NO LEFT TURNS
13. Petition of Councillor Stephen T. Patton request No Left Turns onto Dennis Dr. from Burncoat St. from 1:30-3:00 P.M.
#19b CC October 10, 2000
14. Petition of Councillor Stephen T. Patton request No Left Turns from Randolph Rd. onto Thornton Rd. 6:00 – 9:00 A.M.
#19e CC October 10, 2000
15. Order of Mayor Timothy P. Murray and Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request Administration consider allowing parking on one side of Park View Dr. during the winter parking ban.
In City Council January 7, 2003 #33u CC Order Adopted.
In Committee for Informational Purposes Only.
16. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray request four way stop sign at intersection of Moreland Green Dr. and Glenbrook Ln. and Ledgewood Ln.
#20 CC January 9, 2001
Recommend Approval to install stop signs in Moreland Green Drive facing both eastbound and west bound traffic, and further, request that the stop signs in Glenbrook Lane at Moreland Green Drive and in Ledgewood Lane at Moreland Green Drive be removed.
1. Todd Jarvis, 2 Glenbrook Lane, Worcester
2. Susan Spellane, 4 Glenbrook Lane, Worcester
Chairman’s Ordinance request that the four-way stop signs at the intersection of Moreland Green Drive and Greenside Lane be rescinded and removed.
17. Petition of Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes on behalf of Bob Scott request study of speed and volume of traffic on Walter St. and for stop signs at appropriate locations.
#15 CC January 16, 2001
Recommend Approval of an Order requesting the Police Chief to install
speeding surveillance in Walter Street.
18. Petition of Richard White et al request stop signs North and South Junction of Monticello Dr. & Delawanda Dr.
#18 CC November 20, 2001
Recommend Approval of installation of a stop sign in Delawanda Drive at the intersection of Monticello Drive northbound.
19. Petition of Councillor Barbara G. Haller request Traffic & Parking Committee to install a 4-way stop at the corners of Clifton and Oberlin Streets.
#11 CC February 26, 2002
In Committee May 1, 2002 - held
20. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray and Councillor Stephen T. Patton on behalf of Melanie Willett request 4-way stop sign at intersection of Fairhaven Rd. and Burncoat St.
##33 CC June 11, 2002
21. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request installation of stop sign for both north and southbound traffic on Channing St. at the intersection of Mt. Vernon St.
#81 CC August 20, 2002
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
22. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham on behalf of Linda Casey et al and William Walsh request the replacement of existing small advisory signs in Falcon St. with larger signs that state that Falcon St. is not a through way and any additional signage that will improve the safety of children in the residential neighborhood of Falcon St., Willvail St. and Healy Rd.
#49 CC July 16, 2002
Recommend Approval of adjustment of existing signs and installation of additional signage.
23. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri on behalf of Harlow St. Crime Watch request right turn only at corner of Lincoln St. and Catharine St.
#39b CC September 24, 2002
Recommend Approval to authorize and request Commissioner of Public Works to Delete Outbound Bus Stop Lincoln St. east side from a pt. 25’ north of Catharine St. to a pt. 90’ north of Catharine St. and install Outbound Bus Stop Lincoln St. east side from a pt. 150’ north of Catherine St. to a pt. 215’ north of Catherine St. and Request Commissioner of Public Works install merge sign on easterly side of Lincoln St. 25’ north of Catharine St.
24. Petition of Councillor Stephen T. Patton on behalf of Kendrick Neighborhood Association request signage be improved on bridge at Brooks St. and West Boylston St. to direct traffic correctly under bridge.
#21b CC October 8, 2002
25. Petition of Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes on behalf of George Hanna request traffic study of volume, speed and accidents in the Carter Rd., Moreland St. and Brewer St. vicinity.
#16 CC May 8, 2001
Recommend Hold (for report from traffic Engineering)
Chairman’s Order request the Administration report to the City Council on the use of yield signs and/or the installation of advisory signage in Moreland Street for motorists entering into Brigham and Carter Roads.
26. Petition of Councillor Stephen T. Patton request striping on both sides of Thornton Rd. to indicate bike lanes.
#19c CC October 10, 2000
Recommend Hold (for report from Traffic Engineering)
Chairman’s Order request the Administration provide the City Council
with photographs of existing bike paths in the public streets.
27. Petition of Dorothy Gish et al request installation of safety measures at the Blind Curve on West Mountain St. such as: Speed Bumps, a Blinking Red Light reminding drivers to slow down, Slow Down Sign, and/or a sign before curve, warning drivers there are Blind Driveways Ahead.
#32 CC September 4, 2001
Recommend Hold (for recommendation from Traffic Engineer)
1. Paul Bechard, 131 Mountain Street West, Worcester
2. Alice Gish, 39 First Street, Worcester