FEBRUARY 27, 2002
Convened: 7:03 p.m.
Adjourned: 9:45 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councillor Paul P. Clancy
Councillor Barbara G. Haller
Councillor Dennis L. Irish
Also: Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone
Traffic Engineering Staffperson James Pacenka
Police Lieutenant Robert Rich
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
Petitioner Location Date
1. Irene Kozlowski 135 Providence St. #13CC 11/13/01
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
2. Councillor Lukes on behalf 51 Perry Ave. #17b CC 11/13/01
of Paul Nagle
3. Ralph Cobb 86 Lakewood St. #17 CC 11/20/01
4. Janina Goclowski 16 Jefferson St. #15 CC 11/27/01
5. Walter Parzych et al 31 Euclid Ave. #16 CC 11/27/01
6. Carla M. Clark 11 Shepard St. #17a CC 11/27/01
7. Michael Troutner 7 Cutler St. #17 CC 12/4/01
Recommend Leave to Withdraw
8. Councillor Clancy on behalf of 178 Vernon St. #19 CC 12/4/01
9. Emily Hunte 319 Lovell St. #25 CC 1/8/02
10. Councillor Perotto on behalf of 11 Shamrock St. #26 CC 1/8/02
11. Olga Yoranis et al 76 Townsend St. #27 CC 1/8/02
Recommend Approval across street @ #75
12. Alice Nguyen 40 Newbury St. #28 CC 1/8/02
13. Councillor Perotto on behalf of 17 Prentice St. #30 CC 1/8/02
14. Alissa Brosnan 12 Loring St. #17 CC 1/15/02
15. Nechy Corriveau 34 Plantation St. #18 CC 1/15/02
Chairman’s Order to request the Commissioner of the Department of Public Works to post
corner clearance signs at 34 Plantation Street at the corner of Village Street.
16. Maritza Velazquez 34 Newbury St. #6 CC 1/22/02
17. Matteo & Eleanor Campaniello request that all parking in front of 53 Chilmark St. be reserved for handicap parking.
#14 CC November 13, 2001
RESIDENT PERMIT PARKING
18. Susan Shahbazi request resident permit parking on Hooper St.
#24 CC September 4, 2001
In Committee December 17, 2001 - Held
19. Arlene Carlson request traffic light at Hamilton St. and Lake Ave.
#51 CC August 22, 2000
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager notify State Senator Glodis and State Representatives Vincent Pedone and John Fresolo of the City’s need to gain assistance in funding the installation of a traffic signal at the intersection of Hamilton Street with Lake Avenue.
20. Councillor Stephen Patton request truck limitation or ban on Chester St. and Parkton Ave.
#13a CC December 5, 2000
21. Nancy Stassi et al request traffic signal in the vicinity of the Northworks Building on Grove St.
#15 CC January 9, 2001
22. Councillor Stephen Patton on behalf of John Atlas request no left turn from Chester St. onto Parkton Ave. from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM.
#13a CC March 13, 2001
Chairman’s Order request the Commissioner of the Department of Public Works to recommend to the City Council any traffic calming efforts that might make safer the intersection of Chester and Parkton Streets.
23. Councillor Paul P. Clancy Jr. on behalf of James Shea request traffic signal at Hamilton St. & Fairmont Ave.
#24 CC June 19, 2001
24. John & Brian Spokis request a “No Parking Anytime’ sign at the terminus end of Ellsmere St.
#25 CC June 19, 2001
In Committee August 28, 2001 - Held
25. Councillor Timothy P. Murray on behalf of Julie Bernstein, et al request full traffic signalization at intersection of Salisbury St., Flagg St. & Willowbrook Lane.
#55 CC July 17, 2001
Chairman’s Order request the Commissioner of the Department of Public Works review and recommend safety improvements including the installation of a guardrail at the intersection of Salisbury Street, Flagg Street and Willowbrook Road.
Chairman’s Order request the Police Chief install speeding surveillance in Salisbury Street near the intersection of Flagg Street and Willowbrook Road.
26. Kathleen A. Convery request speed limit signs for Utica Dr.
#58 CC August 21, 2001
27. Councillor Juan A. Gomez on behalf of Stephen Belton request "No Parking" at 9C Revere St.
#34 CC September 4, 2001
28. Councillor Paul P. Clancy Jr. request No Parking Anytime on odd side of Gambier Ave.
#34c CC September 4, 2001
29. Councillor Janice L. Nadeau request all crosswalks on Main St. be repainted and in particular the one near Marble St.
#20 CC September 25, 2001
30. Councillor Stephen Abraham on behalf of Maria Mercado request the installation of a crosswalk in May St. at the Big Y Supermarket to assist pedestrians to safely cross the street.
#22 CC October 2, 2001
Chairman’s Order request the Administration to report to the City Council concerning any condition requiring the construction of a sidewalk that may have been required of the Big Y Supermarkets for the frontage of their newly opened market in the Mayfield neighborhood.
31. Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Richard Trifone request No Parking Monday thru Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Duxbury Rd. south side from Lincoln St. east to light pole #6.
#18a CC October 23, 2001
32. Mark Kalil request Blind Driveway sign in front of 8 Adams St.
#12 CC October 30, 2001
33. Councillor Stephen G. Abraham request current parking prohibitions in front of Dean Florist, 1116 Pleasant St. be removed and in place, thereof, have re-instituted the one hour parking spaces that existed at this location for many years.
#13 CC October 30, 2001
34. Stacy Mattioli, Cutler Real Estate Management et al request to have two bus stop signs located near Halcyon Hill Condominium be moved closer to the entrance of Country Club Blvd.
#14CC October 30, 2001
35. Robert LePage request to have bus stop installed on Salem St. by entrance to Worcester Public Library.
#16 CC November 13, 2001
36. Councillor Michael C. Perotto and Councillor Joseph M. Petty on behalf of Albert Belsito request “No Parking” sign in front of 16 Natick St.
#17a CC November 13, 2001
37. Sandra Katz, Realty Systems Management request one No Parking sign (one car length) be placed in front of 32 Cedar St. to allow the rubbish removal truck to be able to get into the parking lot.
#19 CC November 20, 2001
38. Councillor Timothy P. Murray and Councillor Michael C. Perotto request stop sign at corner of Harrington Way and Franklin St.
#20b CC November 20, 2001
39. Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes on behalf of Albert Belmonte request a report regarding illegal parking in a handicap space at 264 Shrewsbury St.
#17 CC November 27, 2001
40. Albert Belmonte request to be able to park on Shrewsbury St. overnight during winter ban when there is no snow on the ground.
#14 CC December 4, 2001
41. Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Marilyn Tencya request No Parking sign five feet from driveway entrance at 71 Richmond Ave.
#29 CC January 8, 2002
42. Report of the Committee on Public Service and Transportation upon the petition of Linda
Katz et al request installation of Chevron Signs in front of 97 South Flagg St.
#178 CC January 8, 2002
43. Report of the Committee on Traffic and Parking upon the petition of Councillor Michael C. Perotto on behalf of Rick Trifone request trailer truck restriction on Duxbury Rd.
#364 CC January 8, 2002
44. Cheryl Oliveri, General Manager of Central Mass Convention & Visitors Bureau request to remove two parking meters (#921 & #922) from the east side of 30 Worcester Center Boulevard and replace with a 30 minute parking area.
#7 CC January 22, 2002
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER
45. Relative to Showcase Cinema North Complex.
#19 O CM August 17, 1999
In Committee April 24, 2000 – Held
46. Relative to street sweeping/downtown area.
#24D CM April 4, 2000
In Committee April 24, 2000 – Held
47. Relative to a final review of the Washington Square reconfiguration as performed by the engineering consultant URS, Corporation.
#25K CM February 27, 2001
In Committee March 14, 2001 – Held
48. Relative to proposed speed hump construction program.
#24B CM March 20, 2001
Chairman’s Order request the Administration to provide the City Council with alternatives that might be employed across the City in place of the authorization from the Great and General Court allowing for the installation of speed humps in the public streets.
49. Relative to periodic speed surveillance on Clover St., Royal Rd. and Edlin St.
#20C CM August 21, 2001
50. Relative to City’s policy concerning cars illegally parked in a fire lane.
#20G CM August 21, 2001
51. Relative to how many parking spaces are available for commuter rail parking.
#24L CM August 21, 2001
52. Relative to 200 parking spaces on the Foley Property.
#24B CM September 4, 2001
Chairman’s Order request the Administration provide the City Council with a status report on the grant application that, if awarded, would subsidize commuter rail parking at the Worcester Common Outlets mall garage.
53. Relative to abandoned motor vehicles.
#18F CM September 18, 2001
54. Relative to specific telephone number of winter parking ban.
#24D CM November 13, 2001
55. Relative to traffic study/vicinity of Salisbury St. and Forest St.
#24D CM November 20, 2001
56. Relative to abandoned vehicles.
#18A CM December 18, 2001
57. Relative to sight problem accessing and egressing properties on Millbrook St. near Burncoat St.
#24B CM January 8, 2002
58. Relative to cost of advertising and educating the public relative to declared winter parking ban.
#24C CM January 8, 2002
59. Relative to recommendation to standardize Resident-Only parking rules.
#24J CM January 8, 2002
60. Relative to traffic light at intersection of Lake Ave. and Hamilton St.
#24K CM January 8, 2002
61. Relative to excluding Green Hill Parkway and West Paine St. from Winter Parking Ban.
#24L CM January 8, 2002
62. Relative to Handicap Parking Signs/Webster Square Plaza.
#24C CM January 29, 2002
63. Relative to recommended improvements to the declared winter parking ban.
#24G CM November 13, 2001
64. Relative to issues involving winter parking ban.
#24B CM December 18, 2001
Chairman’s Order request the Administration provide the City Council with a year-end report assessing the winter parking ban with any recommendations to add any streets to the permanent winter parking ban.
65. Stop Signs
66. Speed Humps
67. Bus Stops
68. Winter Parking Ban
Recommend Schedule for a May, 2002 meeting