TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE
MARCH 14, 2001
The Committee convened @ 6:10 P.M.
Recessed @ 7:08 P.M.
The Committee reconvened @ 7:30 P.M.
Adjourned: 9:00 P.M.
Councillor Janice L. Nadeau
Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes
Councillor Michael C. Perotto
Also: DPW Commissioner Robert L. Moylan
Chief Development Officer Philip J. Niddrie
WRA Staffperson Cynthia Blondin
Traffic Administrator Joseph Borbone
Traffic Engineering Staffperson Ali Khoresani
DPW Staffperson Paul Carey
Police Captain Arthur Rose
Traffic Engineering Staffperson Jim Pacenka
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Relative to a Final Review of the Washington Square Reconfiguration as performed by the Engineering Consultant URS Corporation.
#25K CM February 27, 2001
Speakers: 1. John Cronin, 20 Vinson Avenue, Worcester
2. Mark Mobilio, 36 Paxton Road, Holden and President of the Shrewsbury Street Merchants Association
3. Michael Galvin, 42 Standish Street, Worcester
Petitioner Location Date
1. Sophie Pendergast Remove 2 spaces #9 CC 12/5/00
1 Ruth St.
2. Ronald Hazen 12 Tatman St. #10 CC 12/5/00
3. Hysen Koka 6 Norman Ave. #70 CC 12/12/00
Recommitted to Traffic & Parking
In Committee 11/20/00
4. Mayor Raymond V. Mariano on 2 Lenox St. #8 CC 1/2/01
behalf of Rhonda Conrad
5. Theresa Kelley 64 Providence St. #12 CC 1/2/01
6. Marion Moriarty 34 Florence St. #14 CC 1/2/01
7. Councillor Juan Gomez on behalf 51 & 53 Haven Lane #15 CC 1/2/01
8. Rosa Pomales 4 Home St. #11 CC 1/16/01
9. Rep. John Fresolo on behalf 17 Gordon St. #13 CC 1/16/01
Ralph & Josephine Pietro
10. Luz Cruz 2 Henchman St. #14 CC 1/16/01
11. Elizabeth Johnson Tsang et al Upsala Elder Apartments #10 CC 1/30/01
36 Upsala St.
12. Councillor Michael C. Perotto on 2 Earle St. #12 CC 1/30/01
behalf of Lorraine Fleming
13. Lorraine E. Fleming Earle St. by back door #22 CC 2/27/01
at 15 Edward St.
14. Sylvia Desautels 18 Plantation St. #8 CC 2/6/01
15. Samia Daou 78 Seymour St. #7 CC 2/13/01
16. Vera Chakarian & Rosemary Sahogian 12 Denny St. #9a CC 2/13/01
17. Louis Coates Arlington St. across from #17 CC 2/27/01
the rear of 17 Winthrop St.
RESIDENT PERMIT PARKING
Petitioner Location Date
18. Sandra Katz, Property Mgr. In front of 30-32 Cedar St. #9 CC 1/2/01
Realty Systems Management to the end of the corner at
Chairman’s Ordinance to remove one-hour parking prohibition in area of 30-32 Cedar Street.
19. Sandra Katz, Property Mgr. Corner Austin & Irving Sts. #10 CC 1/2/01
Realty Systems Management to Oxford & Austin St.
WINTER PARKING BAN
19a. Councillor Janice L. Nadeau on behalf of Carlos Medero request Traffic Engineering review parking situation on Beacon St. between Lagrange & Oread St.
Suspension of Rules – Recommend the winter parking be reversed along the entire block.
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER
20. Relative to Lincoln Square – Phase II.
#24Z CM August 22, 2000
21. Relative to pedestrian safety improvement on May St. near Big Y Supermarket.
#24E CM December 19, 2000
22. Relative to winter storms – December 30-31, 2000 and January 5, 2001 – Report on Parking
#24C CM January 23, 2001
23. Relative to enforcement of traffic speed limits on Brattle St.
#20B CM February 6, 2001
24. Relative to enforcement of parking restrictions on McKeon Rd. between Cambridge St. and
#20C CM February 6, 2001
TRAFFIC ENGINEERS’ ITEMS
A. 97 Arthur St. (Relocated)
B. 31 Falmouth St. (Relocated)
C. 5 Lund St. – Both sides of the Street (Relocated)
A. Pearl St. – south side – near Main St. (To replace Handicap Parking on Pleasant St.)
Chairman’s Order request the Traffic Engineer make a recommendation to the City Council in regards to the existing taxi stand on Mechanic Street near Main Street.
A. Pleasant St. – south side – from Chestnut St. to a pt. 145’ east of Clinton St. -
No Parking Anytime (Typo Last Meeting)
A. Worcester Center Blvd. east side from Central St. to Thomas St.-30 Minute Parking Meters
(To service stores on street level of new garage)
B. Franklin St. south side from a pt. opposite the easterly property line of Exp. Lot “B” to
Artic St. - 30 Minute Parking Meters (New Kenmore Diner)
NO TURN ON RED
A. Front St. westbound into Main St. (Conflict between motorists and pedestrians)