JOINT COMMITTEE OF PUBLIC WORKS AND COMMERCE & DEVELOPMENT
MAY 18, 2005
Convened: 6:03 p.m.
Adjourned: 8:15 p.m.
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Co-Chairperson Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr.
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councilor Philip P. Palmieri
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councilor Frederick C. Rushton @ 6:14 p.m.
Also: ††††††††† ††††††††† City Manager Michael V. OíBrien
††††††††† ††††††††† ††††††††† City Solicitor David M. Moore
††††††††† ††††††††† ††††††††† Asst City Manager Julie Jacobson
††††††††† ††††††††† ††††††††† City Assessor Robert A. Allard
††††††††† ††††††††† ††††††††† Budget Director John Pranckevicius
††††††††† ††††††††† ††††††††† DPW Director of Engineering Paul Moosey
††††††††† ††††††††† †††††††††
1.†††††† Relative to the status of the partnership the City is forging with Berkeley Investments, Inc. and Starwood Capital redeveloping downtown Worcester.
††††††††† #8C CM February 8, 2005
Chairmanís Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with written clarification of the responses to the following topics discussed at the Joint Commerce and Development/Public Works Meeting of May 18, 2005:
1. Relationship between Starwood Capital and Starwood Hotel,
2. Viability of the previous developments by Berkeley Investments,
3. Relocation of Workout World facilities, or elimination,
4. Contingency amounts in MOA and how the amounts were arrived at,
5. Ownership of garage after 60 year period,
6. Design standards, elaborate on certain quality of design,
7. Elimination of ramp agreement; and cost savings of that relief,
8. Conveyance of vacuum property and estimated value of that property,
9. Details of Berkeley projects of this scale and type across the country,
10. Phase One timeline for the private investment,
11. Permit fee cap, based on which of the development scenarios, low or high figure,
12. Ownership of the underground garage access from Franklin Street,
13. DIF Bond Financing Payment Plan; no tax levy monies will be involved,
14. Early re-payment to come from capitalized revenues,
15. Detailed chart of the revenue stream for the first four years of city payout,
16. Parking garage revenues will be for paying down the DIF,
17. Sufficient parking spaces being considered for full build-out,
18. Review of expenses from City side will be conducted by whom,
19. Quality of design of new structures,
20. If state commitment arrives sooner, how does it affect early finances,
21. Examples of Berkeley as a community partner,
22. Parking garage rates; language in agreement and how rates are set,
23. Any stop-loss measure to construction/operation/structure of underground garage,
24. Competition for housing units in downtown if amount constructed is approx 500-600 units,
25. Compliance with commitment towards goals for hiring of women and minorities for project construction,
26. Blending of new construction design with existing downtown build-out,
Chairmanís Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with the final development agreement between the City of Worcester and Berkeley Investments before signing.
Chairmanís Order request the City Auditor report to the City Council whether additional staff assistance will be necessary in order for him to offer an ongoing monitoring of the DIF and CitySquare project payment of bills. (Clerk to request Auditor be present at the future Joint Committee meetings.)
Chairmanís Order request the City Manager to provide the City Council with a copy of the Desmond parking survey report and that he additionally request Berkeley to provide a copy of the Walker parking survey report including past performance of their recommendations in other communities.
Chairmanís Order request the City Manager contact historical community representatives in the City for assistance in developing a list of historical significant references that might be relied upon the in the naming of new streets within the CitySquare project.
2.†††††† Requesting authorization to file an application for a Community Development Action Grant (CDAG) in support of the CitySquare Project.
††††††††† #40 CC In City Council February 15, 2005 Resolution adopted 10-0
††††††††† In Committee For Informational Purposes Only
3.†††††† Relative to the Downtown Parking Study.
††††††††† #23H CM March 8, 2005
4.†††††† Relative to schedule of events relative to the CitySquare Project.
††††††††† #54a CC April 12, 2005
5.†††††† Relative to the CitySquare Project and the District Improvement Financing (DIF) law.
††††††††† #4 CC May 10, 2005
6.†††††† Requesting adoption of four Orders:†
1. Designating the DIF District Boundary
2. Approving the DIF Development Program
3. Authorizing the filing of Special Legislation
4. An Order of Taking acquiring the easements for the new public streets
Advertise DIF Loan Order authorizing the borrowing of $89.085 million Advertise an Ordinance establishing permit and inspection fees
††††††††† #35 CC May 10, 2005
7.†††††† Transmitting information on the impact of the Responsible Employer Ordinance on the CitySquare Project.
††††††††† #35a CC May 10, 2005