AGENDA AMENDED ON AUGUST 25, 2005
PUBLIC SERVICE AND TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE
AUGUST 30, 2005
Convened: 5:34 p.m.
Adjourned: 6:55 p.m.
Councilor Michael C. Perotto
Councilor Juan A. Gomez @ 5:50 p.m.
Councilor Barbara G. Haller
Also: Police Chief Gary J. Gemme
Deputy Police Chief Paul Campbell
DPW Assistant to the Commissioner Robert Fiore
Assistant City Solicitor John O’Day
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Petition of Senad Sabotic et al request to install street light on telephone pole #2 on Belair Street.
#6 CC September 28, 2004
In Committee March 30, 2005 – Held
2. Petition of Mayor Timothy Murray and Councillor Barbara Haller on behalf of the Shepard-King Neighborhood request the installation of additional street lighting, or increased lumens to existing street lighting, in the following streets: King, Shepard, Kingsbury and Woodland Streets.
#8 CC November 9, 2004
In Committee March 30, 2005 – Held
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager request the Commissioner of Public Works to trim city shade trees in Shepard Street so that existing streetlights may better illuminate the streets and sidewalk areas.
3. Petition of Mayor Timothy Murray and Councillor Paul Clancy request street light at 7 Commonwealth Avenue.
#6a CC May 17, 2005
4. Petition of Antonio Corapi request to install street light on pole #5 on Ansonia Road.
#8 CC June 7, 2005
5. Petition of Grace DiBaro request streetlight on pole #11 on Greenfield Street.
#13 CC July 19, 2005
6. Petition of Steven Karapatsas request bus shelter at 1001 Main Street be moved 10-12 feet easterly.
#5 CC March 15, 2005
Request the City Manager to request the Commissioner of Public Works to move the bus shelter in front of 1001 Main Street a short distance so that buses do not block the driveway to a new business; said cost to be assumed by the City of Worcester.
7. Communication of the City Manager relative to Licensing Livery/Limousine Services.
#19D CM September 28, 2004
In Committee September 30, 2004 – Held
1. Attorney Joseph D. Early, Jr., Worcester resident
2. Antoinette Donovan, Millbury resident
3. Dennis Sachs, Worcester resident
4. Paul Abdella, Oxford resident
5. Ted Kalinowski, Worcester resident
8. Communication of the City Manager relative to Regulation and Penalties applicable to livery vehicles.
#19A CM December 14, 2004
1. that there be a mandatory driver photo identification,
2. that there be unannounced inspections,
3. that a reduction in the age allowed for taxis to be on the road from 7 years to 6˝ this year and then down to 6 next year so as to ease into a newer fleet rather than hit the owners with a one year change all at once,
4. that the posting of rates inside cabs be required,
5. that the name and phone number of the taxi owner be displayed on the exterior of each cab,
6. that issues of taxi cleanliness is required,
7. that a review of the criminal record (including sex offenders) of drivers be required before they are licensed to drive,
8. that an annual review of the number of hours each taxi is on the road in a given month is required so as to guarantee that the public is adequately served,
9. that no bumper stickers or window stickers be allowed on taxis because they are not private vehicles but public conveyances,
10. that drivers should be clean and uniformed as they are ambassadors of the city to visitors, and
11. that taxi license rules and regulations also apply to liveries.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to provide the City Council with a draft of the proposed new rules and regulations and enforcement plans for owners/operators of taxis in the City of Worcester.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to request the Police Chief to provide the City Council with information how the taxi owners/operators serve the non-English speaking populations.
9. Resolution of Councillor Barbara Haller – That the City Council hereby opposes United States Senate Bills 1504 and 1349 and House of Representatives Bill 3146 relative to the regulation of public access cable television.
#138 CC August 16, 2005