CITY OF WORCESTER

Public Safety Committee Meeting

Monday, February 1, 2021

Levi Lincoln (North) Chamber

Convened: 5:00 P.M.

Adjourned: 7:33 P.M.


Mayor
Joseph M. Petty

 

www.worcesterma.gov

 

Clerk of the City Council
Nikolin Vangjeli

Committee Members

Chairperson Kathleen M Toomey
Vice Chairperson Sarai Rivera
Councilor Donna M Colorio
 

City Hall - 455 Main Street Worcester, Massachusetts


Present Were:Chairperson Councilor Kathleen M Toomey Councilor Sarai Rivera Councilor Donna M Colorio
 
Also:ShotSpotter Vice President of Solutions Group Phil Dailly ShotSpotter Director of Analytics Wendy Ethridge Police Chief Steven M. Sargent Deputy Police Chief Paul Saucier Councilor Morris A. Bergman Councilor Khrystian E. King Councilor Candy Mero-Carlson Councilor Gary Rosen Councilor George J. Russell City Clerk Nikolin Vangjeli, clerk
 
1.

Approval of the Minutes

1a.

Order - That the City Council Standing Committee on Public Safety hereby approves the minutes of the Public Safety Committee meeting on August 17, 2020.

View Agenda

Chairperson Councilor Toomey read the item and moved for a roll call vote to adopt the item. Order adopted on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays

2.

Public Participation

2a.

In order to ensure the continuation of active public engagement, the City of Worcester will now use a phone conference line for members of the public to participate in all public meetings. To participate during the public participation phase of City Council, you may call the direct line indicated: Levi Lincoln (North) Chamber - 415-655-0001 (Access Code: 180 653 9328) or enter the below URL into your web browser. If you would like to raise your hand when in the meeting as a call-in user during public participation you may dial *3.

https://cow.webex.com/cow/onstage/g.php?MTID=ece2e2fa4d8250571bb6d0158d72d59ff

Attachments
3.

Communications of the City Manager

3a.

Transmitting informational communication relative to the expansion of ShotSpotter and the capabilities of the ShotSpotter Connect Program. # 9.10A CM January 19, 2021

Attachments

Chairperson Councilor Toomey read the item and recognized the Deputy Chief, who spoke concerning the Worcester Police Departmentís goal of explaining the intended usages of ShotSpotter Connect in the city.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey recognized the ShotSpotter Vice President of Solutions Group, who provided the Committee a presentation titled ďCrime Deterrence Tool with a Community-First Approach,Ē which included information on the harms of traditional predictive policing, how ShotSpotter is designed for maximizing the reduction of harm and the companyís commitment to proactive transparency.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey recognized Councilor Colorio, who expressed her support for implementing ShotSpotter Connect in the city.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey recognized Councilor Rivera, who discussed the other communities that use ShotSpotter Connect, any challenges and unintended consequences associated with ShotSpotter Connect and the potential for the company meeting with community groups in the city with the ShotSpotter Director of Analytics.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey brought forth the following Chairmanís Order: Request City Manager reach out to Black Families Together, NAACP, Worcester Interfaith and LEON (Latino Empowerment Organizing Network) in order to set up community meetings to discuss and present on the potential implementation of ShotSpotter Connect.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey discussed the current deployment practices of the Worcester Police Department, the efficacy and appropriateness of ShotSpotter Connect and how often the crime data information can be reported to the community with the Deputy Chief and ShotSpotter Director of Analytics.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey brought forth the following Chairmanís Order: Request City Manager work with the appropriate representatives from ShotSpotter Connect to provide City Council with quarterly reports detailing the crime data analytics collected by the company for the city.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey read testimony received by the Standing Committee prior to the meeting.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey read the item and recognized the following speakers:
1. Emma Nordquist, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
2. Bob Michel, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
3. Fr. Jonathan Slavinskas, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
4. Kathleen Roy, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
5. Jimmy Kalogeropoulos, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
6. Christine Tosti, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
7. Lorraine Laurie, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
8. Eva Johnson, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
9. Wayne (no last name given), Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
10. Abe Koffman, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
11. Alice Dillon, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
12. Andrew M., Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
13. Arielle Sharma, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
14. Benjamin C., Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
15. Casey Duggan, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
16. David Slatkin, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
17. David Webb, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
18. Deb Bolz, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
19. Elaine Baskin, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
20. Eliana Stanislawski, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
21. Emily Rittenhouse, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
22. Gregory Jones, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
23. Jacob (no last name given), Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
24. Jeremy Shulkin, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
25. Judy Diamondstone, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
26. John Rodgers, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
27. Julia Knowles, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
28. Kacey S., Shrewsbury resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
29. Kevin Ksen, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a, discussed City Councilorsí attendance in a meeting with ShotSpotter company with Councilor Toomey
30. Laura Matthew, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
31. Lenny Ciuffredo, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
32. Lucy Candib, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
33. Maggie L., Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
34. Marie Brouillette, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
35. Matt Whitlock, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
36. Megan Sharry, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
37. Nathan Cummings, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
38. Nathan Skylark, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
39. Samuel C., Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
40. Sheila Brenner, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
41. Tim Jones, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
42. Vickie (no last name given), Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
43. Winnifred Octave, Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a
44. Yenni Desroches, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
45. Nelly Medina, Worcester resident, spoke in opposition to item 3a
46. Vinny (no last name given), Worcester resident, spoke in favor of item 3a

Chairperson Councilor Toomey brought forth the following Chairmanís Orders: 1) Request City Manager work with the appropriate representatives from ShotSpotter Connect to provide City Council with responses to the various questions raised by members of the public during the public participation section of the Public Safety Committee meeting on February 1, 2021; and 2) Request City Manager conduct a city-wide crime watch meeting to present information relative to ShotSpotter Connect.

Chairperson Councilor Toomey moved for a roll call vote to recommend approval of the item. Recommend Approval on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays.

Chairman's Orders

Request City Manager reach out to Black Families Together, NAACP, Worcester Interfaith and LEON (Latino Empowerment Organizing Network) in order to set up community meetings to discuss and present on the potential implementation of ShotSpotter Connect.

Request City Manager work with the appropriate representatives from ShotSpotter Connect to provide City Council with quarterly reports detailing the crime data analytics collected by the company for the city.

Request City Manager work with the appropriate representatives from ShotSpotter Connect to provide City Council with responses to the various questions raised by members of the public during the public participation section of the Public Safety Committee meeting on February 1, 2021.

Request City Manager conduct a city-wide crime watch meeting to present information relative to ShotSpotter Connect.

3b.

Transmitting informational communication regarding information on the police response associated with Bancroft Tower in the year 2020. # 8.10A CM November 10, 2020

Attachments

Chairperson Councilor Toomey read the item and moved to take items #3b through #3g collectively and recommend the items be held.

Recommend Hold on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays.

3c.

Transmitting informational communication regarding actions taken as a result of the fireworks tip line. # 11.10A CM September 8, 2020

Attachments

Recommend Hold on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays (See Item #3b)

3d.

Transmitting informational communication relative to crime statistics and performance measures. # 11.10B CM September 8, 2020

Attachments

Recommend Hold on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays (See Item #3b)

3e.

Transmitting informational communication relative to the purchasing and use of military gear by the Worcester Police Department. # 10.10B CM June 16, 2020

Attachments

Recommend Hold on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays (See Item #3b)

3f.

Transmitting informational communication relative to the Police Departments protocols during the Covid-19 pandemic. # 9.10A CM May 26, 2020

Attachments

Recommend Hold on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays (See Item #3b)

3g.

Transmitting informational communications relative to the Railroad Trespassing Enforcement Grant. # 8.10A CM February 25, 2020

Attachments

Recommend Hold on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays (See Item #3b)