CITY OF WORCESTER
Public Safety Committee Meeting
Monday, November 27, 2017
Esther Howland (South) Chamber
Convened: 6:34 P.M.
Adjourned: 8:46 PM
Joseph M. Petty
Clerk of the City Council
Susan M. Ledoux
|Chairperson Kathleen M Toomey |
|Councilor Morris A Bergman |
|Councilor Sarai Rivera |
City Hall - 455 Main Street Worcester, Massachusetts
|Present Were:||Chairperson Councilor Kathleen M Toomey
Councilor Morris A Bergman
Councilor Sarai Rivera @ 7:04 PM|
|Also:||Councilor Tony Economou;
Councilor Gary Rosen DPH Staff Person Cassandra Andersen;
Director of Human Rights Jayna Turchek;
Commissioner of Public Works and Parks Paul Moosey;
Assistant Chief Development Officer for Planning and Regulatory Services Stephen Rolle;
City Manager’s Office Staff Person Eric Batista;
Assistant City Clerk Stephen A.J. Pottle, clerk
Communications of the City Manager
Transmitting informational communication relative to pedestrian, bicycle, and roadway safety and complete streets.
# 8.5C CM October 03, 2017
1. Ruth Stewart, Worcester resident
2. Casey Starr, Worcester resident
3. David Watson, no residence given
4. Brendan Kearney, Somerville resident
5. Jerry Powers, Worcester resident
6. Karen Valentine-Goins, Worcester resident
7. Joyce Mandel, Worcester resident
8. Robert Bilotta, Worcester resident
9. Pam Hubley, Worcester resident
10. Sam Benocci, Worcester resident
11. Patricia Mallies, Shrewsbury resident
12. Kylie Pacheco, Worcester resident
13. Sandy Meltzer, Worcester resident
14. Jonathan Church, Worcester resident
15. Paul Dell’Aquilla, Worcester resident
16. Deb Carey, Princeton resident
17. Casey Burns, Worcester resident
18. Devin Kurtz, no resident given
19. John Reed, Worcester resident
20. Katherine Barnard, Worcester resident
21. Terri Kelly, Worcester resident
22. Ali Suffi, Worcester resident
Recommend Approval on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays
Request City Manager provide City Council with a report detailing the minimum and maximum lengths of time a pedestrian is given to cross at a crosswalk signal at intersections throughout the City. Further, request City Manager provide in said report an analysis of locations where longer lengths of time are needed.
Request City Manager look into sponsorships for installing more bike racks throughout the City that may include the sponsors’ advertisements.
Request City Manager ensure that the City receives, in writing, that the owners of property abutting sidewalks with bike racks are responsible for shoveling the bike racks out during snow storms
Transmitting informational communication relative to a growing number of complaints about reckless bicycle riders on public roadways.
# 9.10A CM October 17, 2017
Request City Manager provide City Council with an update concerning the Youth Department’s involvement in regards to reckless bicycle riding in public roadways.
Request City Manager provide City Council with information relative to the members of the task force to address the problems with reckless bicycle riding.
Transmitting informational Communication relative to a Worcester Railroad Right-of-Way Trespass Prevention Initiative.
# 9.36A CM September 05, 2017
Petition of Tony Toscano request more police patrols on Wachusett St. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between the hours of 11:00 PM and 3:00 AM.
# 7e CC November 14, 2017