PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
JUNE 12, 2006
Adjourned: 6:54 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councilor Joseph M. Petty
Councilor Paul P. Clancy, Jr.
Councilor Philip P. Palmieri
Councilor Gary S. Rosen @ 6:05 p.m.
Also: Fire Chief Gerard A. Dio
District Fire Chief Timothy Gray
President Local 1009 Firefighter Frank Raffa
VP Local 1009 Fire Lt. Donald Courtney
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Relative to the severity of fires in the City of Worcester in 2004.
#13B CM April 5, 2005
2. Relative to Structure Fires – calendar year 2003.
#13A CM March 30, 2004
3. Relative to tracking records of Structured Fires.
#13A CM May 18, 2004
4. Relative to Structure Fires.
#13A CM November 9, 2004
5. Relative to number of structure fires in Worcester in the last ten years and the number of filled firefighter positions in each of those ten years.
#13A CM December 14, 2004
6. Relative to calendar year 2005 data on house and business structure fires in the City of Worcester.
#15A CM March 7, 2006
7. Relative to the Investigated Structures for the Calendar Year 2004.
#13 A CM March 1, 2005
8. Relative to the Fire Fighters Arbitration Award.
#13A CM August 17, 2004
9. Transmitting award notification regarding the FFY04 Citizen Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program prepared by Gerard A. Dio, Fire Chief.
#30 CC June 21, 2005
10. Relative to FY05 Local Emergency Planning Committee Grant.
#15C CM August 16, 2005
11. Relative to the location of equipment received under the Homeland Security Grant.
#13A CM March 8, 2005
12. Relative to arson statistics for the past five (5) calendar years in the City of Worcester.
#13A CM April 5, 2005
13. Relative to a follow-up report on arson related fires in the City of Worcester.
#19A CM July 19, 2005
14. Relative to blasting in the Malvern Rd. neighborhood.
#13A CM April 26, 2005
15. Recommend that Eighty Six Thousand Dollars ($86,000.00) be transferred from Account #91C780, Citywide Capital Equipment, and appropriated to Account #26C701, Fire Department Capital Equipment, for the payment of contractual obligations related to the completion of the establishment of the McKeon Road Communications Center, as approved in the FY2005 Capital Improvement Budget.
In City Council September 13, 2005 #33A CM Order adopted 8 –0. Also referred to Public Safety for informational purposes only.
16. Request that Forty One Thousand and Twenty Dollars and Twenty Three Cents ($41,020.23) be authorized from FY05 Fire Department Ordinary Maintenance, Account #260-92000 to provide funds for the purpose of payment for prior year invoices.
#28H CM January 25, 2005
Order adopted – In Committee for informational purposes
17. Relative to public safety programs that are in place between the Worcester Police Department and the Worcester Fire Department.
#15A CM April 25, 2006
18. Relative to new regulations with respect to Fire Safety in Places of Public Assembly.
#15B CM December 6, 2005
19. Relative to listing the fifty-nine (59) city properties that are subject to Chapter 304 of the Acts of 2004, “An Act Relative to Fire Safety in the Commonwealth.”
#15A CM December 20, 2005
20. Relative to a new law dealing with the carbon monoxide alarms in residential buildings.
#15A March 21, 2006
21. Relative to workforce levels and the resulting impact to the Worcester Fire Department during the summer months.
#15B CM April 4, 2006
Chairman’s Order request the Fire Chief report to the City Council how he intends to provide for fire safety after the summer of 2006 and for the summer of 2007.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with a report detailing the overtime pay for Fire Department for Fiscal Year 2006 and how it impacts the Arbitrator’s award.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with a report comparing fire staffing levels in Worcester to other like communities in the Northeast.
22. Relative to the move of the Emergency Operations Center previously located at 50 Skyline Drive to 76 East Worcester Street.
#13C CM January 4, 2005
23. Relative to long-term enhancements to the Emergency Operations Center located behind 141 Grove Street.
#15B CM April 25, 2006
24. Relative to long-term enhancements to the Emergency Operations Center located behind 141 Grove Street.
#15A CM May 30, 2006
25. Relative to offers made to outside agencies to use the planned Emergency Operations Center located behind 141 Grove Street.
#15A CM May 2, 2006
26. Transmitting information that compares the base pay for Worcester Firefighters with their counterparts in the cities of Springfield, Providence and Boston.
#89a CC August 17, 2004
27. Transmitting information regarding the cost to the City of the arbitration award given to Firefighters Local 1009.
#89b CC August 17, 2004
28. Request adoption of the attached summary and resolution establishing the National Incident Management System (NIMS) as the standard for incident management in the City of Worcester.
#15A CM November 15, 2005
In Committee December 5, 2005– Held
#15A CM, November 15, 2005
Recommend Approval of the Enclosed Resolution
29. Relative to the Metropolitan Medical Response System (MMRS).
#23A CM November 15, 2005
In Committee December 5, 2005 – Held
#23 A CM, November 15, 2005
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with an all-encompassing report concerning any and all public safety grants that have been accepted and utilized to train citizen groups.