PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
DECEMBER 5, 2005
Convened: 6:03 p.m.
Adjourned: 8:52 p.m.
Councilor Juan A. Gomez
Councilor Barbara G. Haller
Also: Police Chief Gary J. Gemme
Police Department representatives:
Fire Chief Gerard A. Dio
Fire Department representatives
Communications Director David Clemons
UMASS Emergency Services Steve Haynes
HHS Commissioner Jill Dagilis
Director Public Health James Gardiner
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Relative to the appointment of David W. Clemons as the new Communications Director for the City of Worcester.
#14A CM October 11, 2005
2. Relative to the Organizational Structure of the Communications Department.
#34A CM October 11, 2005
3. Requesting adoption of a resolution relative to the FY04 Metropolitan Response System Program Continuation Grants.
In City Council September 7, 2004 #20A CM Resolution adopted. In Committee for informational purposes only.
In Committee October 4, 2004 – Held
4. Relative to the Metropolitan Medical Response System (MMRS).
#23A CM November 15, 2005
5. Requesting adoption of a U.S. Department of Homeland Security (LSDHS) Funding – Summary and Resolution.
In City Council February 8, 2005 #5A CM Resolution Adopted
In Committee for informational purposes
6. Relative to an award notification regarding the FY05 Local Preparedness Grant (LPG).
#15A CM October 25, 2005
7. Request review, deliberation and acceptance of a summary and resolution for the FY05 U.S. Department of Homeland Security Grant.
In City Council October 25, 2005 #29A CM Resolution Adopted. Also referred to Public Safety Committee for informational purposes
8. Relative to the City’s Emergency Volunteer Recruitment Efforts.
#23D CM October 11, 2005
9. Request adoption of the attached summary and resolution establishing the National Incident Management System (NIMS) as the standard for incident management in the City of Worcester.
#15A CM November 15, 2005
10. Relative to response planning for the Avian Flu.
#23C CM November 15, 2005
11. Recommend the approval of the salary ordinance in accordance with the enclosed request from Police Chief Gary Gemme to implement an annual stipend for the classification of Legal Advisor within the Worcester Police Department.
#33P CM November 22, 2005
Communication of Dr. Roberta R. Schaefer, Executive Director, Worcester Regional Research Bureau
12. Transmitting Benchmarking Public Safety in Worcester: 2005.
#58 CC April 26, 2005
1. Request the City Manager to report to the City Council the protocols that will be followed for filling the position of Legal Advisor within the Worcester Police Department upon the separation from service of the present incumbent.
2. Request the City Manager report to the City Council a summary of the table top, multi-agency emergency response drill that was conducted on September 17, 2005.
3. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with a copy of the City’s Evacuation Plan that is in force and effect currently so that it can be used as a basis for the development of an updated plan.
4. Request the City Manager report to the City Council the methods that shall be employed to educate/inform the general public of the details of an emergency response and evacuation plan.
5. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with a report detailing any and all funds expended from a RSVP grant awarded the City for the training of neighborhood groups.
6. Request the City Manager request the new Communications Director provide the City Council with a status report concerning the operations/organization of that department.
7. Request the City Manager request the Commissioner of Health and Human Services provide the City Council with a list of those nine sites identified as staging sites to be employed in the event of a local catastrophe
8. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with a response whether or not the City is able to apply for additional grants as outlined in the attached documentation provided by the Main South Alliance for Public Safety.