PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
APRIL 14, 2005
Convened: 5:31 p.m.
Adjourned: 7:25 p.m.
Councillor Juan A. Gomez
Councilor Barbara G. Haller
Also: Worcester Police Chief Gary J. Gemme
Deputy Police Chief Harold McRae
Police Captain Giulio Fusaro
Police Captain Paul Campbell
City Solicitor David M. Moore
Local 378 President Richard Cipro
Grants Acquisition Coordinator Donna McGrath
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
HEARING – FY05 U.S. Department of Justice Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG)
The hearing opened @ 5:36 p.m. and adjourned @ 6:00 p.m. after the Chair entertained a motion to approve the Request of the City Manager to file a Justice Assistance Grant in 2005.
Communications of the City Manager
1. Transmitting communication relative to filing a Justice Assistance Grant for
In City Council March 29, 2005 #35 CC Resolution Adopted
In Committee for informational purposes
2. Relative to an FY05 Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) resolution and summary that was forwarded to City Council for review on March 29, 2005.
#19B CM April 5, 2005
3. Relative to the reallocation of $12,600.00 of Round VIII Local Law Enforcement Block Grant funds that was originally targeted toward purchasing two police canines, to fund and support a pilot minority youth mentoring program.
In City Council March 1, 2005 #19C CM Approved in concept.
In Committee for informational purposes
4. Request City Council authorize the filing of special legislation which would allow the City to use “Special Process Servers” in lieu of Police Officers in Housing Court enforcement actions.
#15C CM September 16, 2003
In Committee December 8, 2003 – Held
In Committee June 23, 2004 - Held
In Committee July 7, 2004 – Held
Recommend Approval authorizing the filing of special legislation
5. Relative to Federal and State Accreditation Program and Costs.
#19B CM April 13, 2004
6. Relative to training for constables.
#19A CM June 15, 2004
7. Relative to satellite systems in new police vehicles and Police Departments that utilize automatic vehicle locators.
#19B CM July 6, 2004
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager update the City Council concerning satellite communications in police vehicles.
8. Relative to breakdown of all uniformed personnel in the Police Department.
#19D CM June 15, 2004
9. Relative to data from the most recent Police Officer’s examination.
#14A CM August 17, 2004
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with statistics concerning the number of minorities taking the next police officer entrance exam and the percentage of minorities passing the test.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with any opportunities to increase minority representation in the higher ranks of the Worcester Police Department.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council a report on the number and type of translation services available at the Worcester Police Department and Communications Department.
10. Relative to ethnic and gender make-up of the Worcester Police Department.
#19G CM August 17, 2004
11. Relative to trained police officers for Fiscal Year 2005.
#19M CM August 17, 2004
12. Relative to job descriptions goals and objectives for positions within the police department.
#19O CM August 17, 2004
13. Relative to percentage of paid details requested for individuals and businesses in the City.
#19P CM August 17, 2004
14. Relative to policy regarding hiring practices at the Police Department.
#19R CM August 17, 2004
15. Relative to institution of an Affirmative Action Policy and steps taken to recruit minority officers.
#19A CM September 7, 2004
16. Relative to copy of previous strategic plan for the Worcester Police Department.
#19N CM August 17, 2004
17. Relative to number and types of complaints to the Worcester Police Department.
#19K CM August 17, 2004
18. Relative to criteria defining what constitutes an incident.
#19L CM August 17, 2004
19. Relative to schedule of speeding surveillance detail assigned to Lake Ave.
#19B CM August 17, 2004
20. Relative to how often Police Patrol Routes get covered.
#19A CM September 21, 2004
21. Relative to Route Officers to communicate with Business Owners on Chandler St.
#19B CM October 12, 2004
22. Relative to noise complaint calls regarding the Bravo Café.
#19B CM November 30,2004
23. Relative to police calls to 119 West Street for the past month.
#19C CM November 30, 2004
24. Relative to Noise Ordinance Citations from May 2004 – September 2004.
#19D CM November 30, 2004
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with a second quarter 2005 report concerning the number of noise pollution ordinance citations.
25. Relative to the issue of permits and the Noise Ordinance.
#19D CM December 14, 2004
26. Relative to Worcester Police Department Crime Summary, January 1, 2004 to October 31, 2004.
#19E CM November 30, 2004
27. Relative to Worcester Police Department Internal Affairs – Investigation Totals.
#19C CM December 14, 2004
28. Relative to the issue of the “feasibility of the police department notifying the local neighborhood crime watch or association whenever a sex offender, especially a level 3, moves in or out of a neighborhood”.
#19A CM January 4, 2005
29. Relative to the issue of the “tracking or monitoring system used by the Internal Affairs Division of the Worcester Police Department”.
#19B CM January 4, 2005
30. Relative to the status of police marked vehicles in the Worcester Police Department.
#19C CM January 11, 2005
31. Relative to issuance of License to Carry (LTC) Firearms.
#19D CM January 11, 2005
32. Relative to the Chapter 467 of the Acts of 2004, “An Act Increasing the Minimum Age for Appointment as a Police Officer”.
#14A CM February 8, 2005
#39 CC February 15, 2005
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with an updated report concerning crimes related to the operation of the PIP Shelter at 701 Main Street.
34. Relative to “Parking at Police Headquarters”.
#19B CM March 1, 2005
35. Relative to the fair market appraisal of the Worcester Police Department Headquarters and the Worcester Police Department rifle range located in the town of Shrewsbury.
#4B CM April 5, 2005
36. Relative to how the Worcester Police Department tracks injured prisoner reports, and the transfer of prisoners to area hospitals.
#19A CM April 5, 2005
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager provide the City Council with a report whether giving 2 points to Worcester residents taking promotional examinations and/or allowing these resident police officers to take vehicles home would be an effective incentive to keeping police officers in the City.