PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
AUGUST 28, 2003
VIEW – 5:30 P.M. at 701 Main St.
MEETING @ 766 Main St.,
Central Branch YMCA, Board Room.
Convened: 6:05 p.m.
Adjourned: 6:45 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councillor Michael C. Perotto
Councillor Barbara G. Haller
Councillor Joseph M. Petty
Councillor Dennis L. Irish
Also: Director of Neighborhood Services Paul LaCava
Assistant Director of Neighborhood Services Dennis Hennessy
Acting Police Chief Carlo Genatossio
School Committee Member Jack Foley
School Committee Member Joseph O’Brien
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Communication of the City Manager transmitting communication relative to the strategies being implemented to remediate the problem of prostitution in the Main South area.
#17G CM July 1, 2003
2. Communication of the City Manager transmitting communication relative to an update on the measures being taken to eliminate the prostitution problem in the Main South Neighborhood.
#17J CM August 12, 2003
3. Order of Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes – request Public Safety Committee review under what conditions the City will install surveillance cameras, what policies will be developed to prohibit misuse of surveillance cameras and data that is collected and public oversight.
#145bb CC August 12, 2003
1. Request the City Manager contact other communities that employ surveillance cameras and inquire of their success; for what purposes they are used, any local guidelines they follow, and if their usage has affected illegal drug trafficking, prostitution or illegal trash disposal.
2. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with a draft of the policy for use of surveillance cameras before the cameras in the vicinity of 701 Main Street are activated.
3. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with quarterly reports on the effectiveness of surveillance cameras including police patrol statistics.
4. Request the City Manager report to the City Council on the incidence of prostitution since the police have backed off from the intense efforts of mid-summer.