CITY OF WORCESTER
Joint Public Health and Human Services and Municipal Operations Committee Meeting
Thursday, January 3, 2013
Levi Lincoln (North) Chamber
Convened: 5:37 P.M.
Adjourned: 6:50 PM
Joseph M. Petty
Clerk of the City Council
David J. Rushford
|Co-Chairperson Michael J Germain |
|Co-Chairperson Konstantina B Lukes |
|Councilor Tony Economou |
|Councilor William J Eddy |
|Councilor Sarai Rivera |
City Hall - 455 Main Street Worcester, Massachusetts
|Present Were:||Co-Chairperson Councilor Michael J Germain
Co-Chairperson Councilor Konstantina B Lukes
Councilor Tony Economou
Councilor William J Eddy
Councilor Sarai Rivera|
|Also:||Acting Assistant City Manager Kathleen M. Johnson
City Solicitor David M. Moore
Transitional Housing Manager Kristen Garza
Assistant City Clerk Susan M. Ledoux, clerk|
Panhandling & Tag Day Solicitations
Communication of the City Manager recommending adoption of Ordinances Relative to Pedestrian Safety in the Public Right of Way and the Prohibition of Aggressive Panhandling.
# 18a CM November 13, 2012
Recommend Approval of two proposed Ordinances roll call votes as follows: Municipal Operations Committee vote of 3-0 in favor and Public Health & Human Services Committee vote of 2-1 with Councilors Economou & Lukes in favor and Councilor Rivera opposed
1. Richard Kerver, Worcester resident
2. Jim Donoghue, Worcester business owner
3. Sarah Loy, Worcester resident
4. Michael Benedetti, Worcester resident
5. Chris Robarge, Worcester resident
6. Bill Randall, Worcester resident
7. Jo Hart, Worcester resident
8. Chris Horton, Worcester resident
9. David Bentley, Worcester resident
10. Kevin Ksen, Worcester resident
11. David Coin, Worcester resident
12. W. Stuart Loosemore, representative of Chamber of Commerce
13. Celeste Maykel Zack, Worcester business owner
14. Joe Dyer, Worcester resient
15. Nicole Apostala, Worcester resident
16. Debra Ekstrom, Worcester resident
17. Ronnie Paquin, Worcester resident
18. Joseph Geneva, Worcester resident
Request City Manager report on how many calls to 911 were received in the last six (6) months because of aggressive panhandling and report any resulting specific criminal activity.
Request City Manager provide a status report concerning the Citizen Commission on Homelessness and/or the ICHH Leadership Council.
Communication of the City Manager transmitting informational communication relative to Tag Day Permits Issued by the Worcester Police Department in 2011 and 2012.
# 10.10A CM November 13, 2012
Communication of the City Manager transmitting informational communication relative to the Constitutionality of Regulating Panhandling While Allowing Tag Day Solicitations to Continue.
# 10.13A CM November 13, 2012
Communication of the City Manager transmitting informational communication relative to Reducing the Incidence of Panhandling.
#10.32B CM August 14, 2012
Communication of the City Manager transmitting informational communication relative to a Response to Reduce the Incidence of Panhandling in the City.
#9.32A CM July 17, 2012