CITY OF WORCESTER
Economic Development Committee Meeting
Monday, February 10, 2020
Crompton Collective, 138 Green Street
Convened: 5:32 P.M.
Adjourned: 6:15 P.M.
Joseph M. Petty
Clerk of the City Council
Susan M. Ledoux
|Chairperson Candy Mero-Carlson |
|Vice Chairperson Sean M Rose |
|Councilor Matthew E Wally |
138 Green Street, Worcester, MA 01604
|Present Were:||Chairperson Councilor Candy Mero-Carlson
Councilor Sean M. Rose
Councilor Kathleen M. Toomey - Appointed by Mayor Petty to the Economic Development Committee temporarily
|Also:||Mayor Joseph M. Petty
City Manager Edward M. Augustus, Jr.
Chief Financial Officer Thomas Zidelis
Chief Development Officer Michael Traynor
Assistant City Clerk Stephen A.J. Pottle, clerk
Pawtucket Red Sox President Dr. Charles Steinberg
Executive Vice President of Business and Real Estate Development Dan Rea
Director of Ballpark and Planning Bart Harvey
Executive Vice Present of General Counsel Committee Kim Minor
Attorney Mark Donahue|
Communication of the City Manager
Transmitting Ballpark Financing Update.
# 9a CC January 14, 2020
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson made an opening statement and reviewed agenda.
Chairperson Mero-Carlson recognized the City Manager, who spoke concerning item. The City Manager reviewed the revised ballpark plan and spoke of the tangible benefits this plan offers the city.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson recognized the President of the Pawtucket Red Sox, who shared images of the new ballpark. He also explained the design ideas for the park were developed by the Worcester community, and discussed that they fit the park to the city flow.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson recognized the Attorney that represents Madison Properties. He explained the partnership between Madison Properties, the ballpark, City and the State. He also discussed the properties that will surround the park, and the designs of those properties.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson recognized the following speakers:
1. Tim Garvin, President and CEO of United Way spoke in favor of the item and shared his support.
2. Jacob Vasquez, Economic Development Associate for Worcester Chamber of Commerce spoke in favor of the item. He asked the committee to support the City Manager and his administration.
3. John Weaver, CEO of Biomedical Initiatives and Sturbridge resident support of life science buildings in project. He spoke of how the city has had a resurgence in the life sciences and the field is in need of more building space within the city.
4. Jeff Mererny, part of the Canal District Alliance union music owner spoke in favor of item. He also shared that he is developing the second floor of his business due to interest in leasing space in the canal district has increased since talks of the ballpark.
5. Craig Blais, President and CEO of Worcester Business Development Corporation and Sutton resident spoke in favor of item. He mentioned that the new business proposal plans mention their interest due to the Red Sox moving to the city.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson recognized Councilor Toomey, who expressed her gratitude and spoke of the energy in the city involving the new developments.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson recognized Councilor Rose, who spoke and thanked everyone for their efforts on this project.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson spoke regarding Worcester’s transformation and the pride from the community.
Chairperson Councilor Mero-Carlson moved for a roll call vote to recommend approval of the Baseball Stadium Redevelopment Project. Motion approved on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays.
Recommend approval of the Baseball Stadium Redevelopment Project Loan Order, adoption of the four (4) Resolutions pertaining to the approving certified project application of Madison Downtown Holdings, LLC and adoption of the three (3) Orders regarding Amendment #1 to DIF District Boundary Approvals on a roll call vote of 3 Yeas and 0 Nays