JOINT COMMERCE & DEVELOPMENT AND PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2003
832 MILLBURY ST., QUINSIGAMOND ROOM
Convened: 6:08 p.m.
Adjourned: 35 p.m.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councillor Philip P. Palmieri @ 6:14 p.m.
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Co-Chairperson Councillor Dennis L. Irish
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councillor Michael C. Perotto
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councillor Joseph M. Petty @ 6:15 p.m.
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councillor Barbara G. Haller @ 6:20 p.m.
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councillor Konstantina B. Lukes @ 6:25 p.m.
Also: †††††††††††††††††† City Manager Thomas R. Hoover
††††††††† †††††††††††††††††† Chief Development Office Phillip J. Niddrie
††††††††† †††††††††††††††††† Public Works Commissioner Robert L. Moylan, Jr.
††††††††† †††††††††††††††††† Deputy City Solicitor Michael Traynor
††††††††† †††††††††††††††††† DPW Staffperson Robert Fiore
††††††††† †††††††††††††††††† DPW Engineer Edmund Kochling
††††††††† †††††††††††††††††† City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1.†††††† Communication of the City Manager relative to Greenwood St. Landfill Project.
††††††††† #23M CM September 9, 2003
2.†††††† Communication of the City Manager relative to RFQ process for the Greenwood St. Landfill.
†††† #15C CM September 9, 2003
3.†††††† Communication of the City Manager relative to the selection of a proposed contractor for the development and reconfiguration of the Greenwood Street Landfill.
††††††††† #127 CC†† May 27, 2003
4.†††††† Communication of the City Manager relative to copy of the re-use guidelines for landfills.
††††††††† #24B CM February 11, 2003
5.†††††† Report of the Committee on Public Works upon the Communication of the City Manager relative to the sale of the Greenwood Street Landfill.
††††††††† #97 CC February 25, 2003
6.†††††† Communication of the City Manager relative to previous reports on use of Greenwood St. Landfill for disposal of street sweepings and catch basin cleanings.
††††††††† #24C CM January 28, 2003
7.†††††† Communication of the City Manager relative to proposal from Mass Environmental Associates, Inc.
††††††††† #8A CM January 7, 2003
The Committee allowed a presentation by Patrick Hannon of Massachusetts Environmental Associates concerning the Greenwood Street landfill site, and heard the following speak in reaction to the information presented:
1. State Senator Guy Glodis, Auburn resident
2. Roland Carlson, 18 Halmstad Street, Worcester
3. Roland Lareau, 19 Forsberg Street, Worcester
4. Charlotte Tremblay, 24 Halmstad Street, Worcester
5. Peggy Middaugh, REC, 9 Castle Street, Worcester
6. Barbara White, 38 Upland Gardens Drive, Worcester
7. Konstantina B. Lukes, 24 Hadwen Road, Worcester
8. Donna Williams, Mass Audubon, Grafton resident
9. Bill McCabe, CBL Properties, Boston
10. Mike Hoover, 6 Strasburg Road, Worcester
11. Tom Dufresne, 13 Forsberg Street, Worcerster
12. Diane Hoover, 6 Strasburg Road, Worcester
13. Marty Subberg, Regional Director, DEP
14. Russ Cohen (statement read)
1. Request the City Manager report to the City Council an outline of the DEP/DEM permitting process for the Greenwood Street Landfill project.
2. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with an outline of the types of development parcels that might be realized at the Greenwood Street Landfill site so that valuations might be determined.
3. Request the City Manager report to the City Council concerning the details of the landfill closure agreement including independent oversight and Saturday operations.
4. Request the City Manager report to the City Council on the potential re-use of the Greenwood Street Landfill site.
5. Request the City Manager be involved in the DEP/Massachusetts Environmental Associates discussions concerning Greenwood Street landfill capping and leachate control measures.