CITY OF WORCESTER
Rules and Legislative Affairs Committee Meeting
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Esther Howland (South) Chamber
Convened: 5:40 P.M.
Adjourned: 7:18 P.M.
Joseph M. Petty
Clerk of the City Council
David J. Rushford
|Chairperson George J Russell |
|Councilor Konstantina B Lukes |
|Councilor Frederick C Rushton |
City Hall - 455 Main Street Worcester, Massachusetts
|Present Were:||Chairperson Councilor George J Russell
Councilor Konstantina B Lukes
Councilor Michael T. Gaffney @ 5:45 p.m.|
|Also:||City Solicitor David M. Moore
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk|
Communication of the City Manager
Transmitting communication relative to the Proposed Recodification of the Rules of the City Council.
# 15a CC May 20, 2014
Speakers: Ron Madnick, Worcester resident
Jo Hart, Worcester resident
Request the City Manager request the City Solicitor to revise the proposed recodification of the Rules of the City Council and provide the City Council with a new document that includes the following points:
1. That when scheduling Standing Committee Meetings, that they be conducted after regular working hours, as often as possible, for the convenience of the public,
2. That the proposed Rule 40 be eliminated so that public speaking on items appearing on the agenda be heard during the Items of Public Interest time period,
3. That the proposed Rule 3 be amended to delete the following, “or immediately before”,
4. That the proposed Rule 13 be amended so that in the instance of the absence of the Mayor, and additionally, when there exists a tie in determining the next senior member having continuous service on the City Council, the At-Large Councilor shall take the chair,
5. That the sentence starting on line 8 of section (b) of Rule 29 be eliminated,
6. That Rule 53 be clarified so that the Standing Committee Chairperson makes the determination of which items placed onto the stale list shall be retained in Committee,
7. That Rules Appendix B – that the Lincoln Square Memorial Board issues be considered by the Standing Committee on Economic Development.
Ronal Madnick et al request City Council adopt the following resolution relative to Restoring Constitutional Governance.
# 7h CC October 15, 2013
1. Ron Madnick, Worcester resident
2. Susan Serpo, Worcester resident
3. Rich Aucoin, Worcester resident
4. Albert Hoffman, Worcester resident
Councilor Lukes made a Motion to eliminate Rule #22 which failed on a roll call of 1-1.
Councilor Lukes made a Motion to amend Rules Appendix B to eliminate the Standing Committee Veterans’ and Military Affairs and that all topics except the Lincoln Square Memorial Board under the jurisdiction of this Committee be transferred to the jurisdiction of the Standing Committee on Public Health and Human Services which was not put.