CITY OF WORCESTER
CITY CLERK DEPARTMENT
JOURNAL OF THE CITY COUNCIL – MAY 25, 2004
Convened: 7:00 P.M.
Adjourned: 8:08 P.M.
1. INVOCATION – Rev. Gary Richards
Aldersgate United Methodist Church
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE/STAR SPANGLED BANNER
3. ROLL CALL- All present except Councillor Perotto who arrived at 7:17 P.M.
Mayor Murray read a Proclamation proclaiming May 30 to June 6, 2004 as Greek Heritage Week in the City of Worcester
HEARING AND ORDER – 7:00 P.M.
4 – Hearing held
4. FIBER TECHNOLOGIES NETWORKS, L.L.C. to install and maintain fiber optic telecommunications facilities on: WEST BOYLSTON ST.
4a – Order adopted
4a. Granting permission to FIBER TECHNOLOGIES NETWORKS, L.L.C. to install and maintain fiber optic telecommunications facilities on: WEST BOYLSTON ST. (Attachments)
5. ITEMS OF CITIZEN INTEREST
5a. ITEMS OF DEPARTMENTAL OR EMPLOYEE INTEREST
6-10a – REFERRED TO PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE
6. Rosemary Small et al request resurfacing of Arbutus Rd. (Attachments)
7. Robert Piltzecker request sidewalk repair in front of 36 Atlanta St. (Attachments)
8. Joseph Panarelli request to install two catch basins at intersection of Livermore St. and Wilbur St. at the expense of the Petitioner. (Attachments)
9. Attorney Jonathan Finkelstein on behalf of 97 Coburn Realty, LLC request to extend surface and sanitary sewers in Grafton St. to service a four lot subdivision at 1300 Grafton St. All work to be completed to DPW standards and at Petitioner’s expense. (Attachments)
10. Councillor Paul Clancy, Jr. on behalf of William Ambrose request that an investigation be made into the surface water run-off that flows onto private property at 5 Brierway Dr. from the Blithewood Ave. Park. (Attachments)
10a. Councillor Dennis Irish request sidewalk repair in front of 11 Jeppson Ave. (Attachments)
11-14 - REFERRED TO TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE
11. Calvin Power request handicap parking at 17 Reeves St. (Attachments)
12. Lydia LaBree, Admissions/Marketing Coordinator, Autumn Village Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center request two directional signs to be located on Lincoln St. on the island in front of Oriol Dr. and one off Rt. 290 on Exit 21 ramp at island entering Worcester, for Autumn Village Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 25 Oriol Dr.
13. Monica Gow et al request 4-way Stop at intersection of Hancock Hill Dr. and Ardmore Rd. (Attachments)
14. Councillor Konstantina Lukes on behalf of Ann Marie Lawrence request installation of Stop sign at corner of West Upsala St. and Fairfax Rd. (Attachments)
15 & 16 – REFERRED TO THE CITY MANAGER
15. Councillor Konstantina Lukes on behalf of Susan Pibius request trimming of plant growth and repair of Jandron Sq. Veterans Monument. (Attachments)
16. Lynne Simonds request Code Commissioner immediately inspect and declare as unsafe the partially demolished properties at 1, 3, 5 and 7 Piedmont St. because of the blight and threat to public safety they pose to the neighborhood. (Attachments) Councillor Haller recused on a roll call 8-0 (Lukes, Perotto absent) – Petitioner spoke
17-20 FROM MUNICIPAL OPERATIONS - Adopted
17. Request City Solicitor to draft for review by the City Council a “clean and lien” ordinance to better address the problems of illegal dumping. (Attachments)
18. Request City Manager to provide City Council with a report on the negotiated monthly parking rates at the Worcester Center Boulevard Garage. (Attachments)
19. Request City Assessor to provide City Council with a report that compares the current real estate tax bill compared with the bill that would have been issued if the residential classification legislation was accepted; providing information regarding homes valued from $100,000 to $600,000 in increments of $25,000. (Attachments)
20. Request City Assessor to provide City Council with a snapshot of the increases in average residential real estate valuation over the past several years for the City of Worcester and for a sampling of surrounding towns. (Attachments)
20a & 20b FROM TRAFFIC & PARKING – Adopted-Suspension of Rules
20a. Request City Manager to request representatives of Goldstar Partners LLC to broach with Shaw’s and Sovereign Bank the safety issues that have been discussed regarding the private driveway that exits onto Grove St. between Ciao Bella Restaurant and the Atrium building.
20b. Request City Manager to request Goldstar Partners LLC to consider installing a Police Officer detail at the Chadwick Square Shaw’s market at those times when doing so would assist in guiding traffic that might negatively impact public safety. (Attachments)
21. Request Administration to consider mailing an informational postcard to all motorcycle owners who have their equipment registered in Worcester and all contiguous towns informing them of the specific references in the City of Worcester noise ordinance to motor vehicle noise levels and the City’s intent to enforce this quality of life ordinance. (Clancy, Palmieri, Petty) (Attachments)
22. Request Administration to provide a status report on Administration’s recommendation as it relates to a Zoning Overlay District from behind Union Station to Kelley Square. (Murray, Irish) (Attachments)
23. Request Administration report on any guidelines/policies regarding fundraising/signature soliciting along or on public sidewalks/streets, especially in regards to public safety concerns. Request report to include enforcement strategies used. (Haller) (Attachments)
24. Request Administration to submit recommendations for development of un-used Senior Center building space. (Lukes, Irish) (Attachments)
25. Request City Manager provide City Council with a detailed report revealing how and to what extent the Worcester Vocational High School on Skyline Dr. will be comprehensively connected to the existing fiber optic loop. (Petty) (Attachments)
26. Request City Manager report to City Council on the feasibility of amending the sub-division control/zoning ordinance so that housing developers are required to replace mature vegetation removed from their construction sites with like materials. (Petty) (Attachments)
27. Request Administration to research and report on all green energy grant sources available relative to construction and/or removal of problem buildings. (Murray) (Attachments)
Mayor Murray moved to amend to read: Request Administration to research and report on all green energy grant sources or incentives available to construction of new and/or renovation of existing buildings.
Adopted, as amended
28. Request Administration to report on any incentives utilized by municipalities to encourage private developer’s use of green energy sources and/or products. (Murray) (Attachments)
28a. Request Administration to consider changing the parking meters along Portland St. from15 minutes to 30 minutes. Gomez – Suspension of Rules – Adopted (Attachments)
28b. Request Administration to work with the License Commission to evaluate the feasibility of extending the bar and nightclub hours within the City from 1:45 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday to 2:45 a.m. and report back to City Council. Gomez – Suspension of Rules – Adopted (Attachments)
28c. Request Administration to conduct a study and evaluate implementing recommendations to reduce or eliminate the drastic accumulation of water run-off at the bottom of Genesee St. Gomez – Suspension of Rules – Adopted (Attachments)
28d. Request Administration to provide crime reports for Autumn Woods over the last twelve months. Clancy – Suspension of Rules – Adopted (Attachments)
29. SEWER ASSESSMENT: LIVERMORE ST. (Attachments)
30. RECESS TO FINANCE AND ORDINANCE: No Action Taken
a) #35CC February 3, 2004
Communication of the City Manager transmitting communication comparing Local Aid figures for FY04 and FY05 for the City of Worcester as recommended by Governor Romney in the submittal of his FY2005 budget. (Attachments)
b) #21A CM April 27, 2004
Communication of the City Manager relative to Library hours of service. (Attachments)
31. Michael V. O’Brien, Acting City Manager transmitting FY 05 Municipal Budget. (Attachments)
Referred to Finance
31a. That the City Council of the City of Worcester hereby recognizes the Worcester Police Department’s Drill Team for their second place finish in the Second Annual Honor Guard Competition held in Washington, D.C. Murray – Suspension of Rules - Adopted
32 ACCEPTED & ORDER ADOPTED
32. REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON MUNICIPAL OPERATIONS Upon the Communication of the City Manager requesting adoption of an Order relative to gifts and donations to the Worcester Public Library: recommend adoption of the accompanying Order.
33. REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON MUNICIPAL OPERATIONS Upon the Communication of the City Manager relative to revenues generated from Trash Bag Sales: recommend Communication be referred to Public Works Committee. (Attachments)
REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON MUNICIPAL OPERATIONS Upon the following Communications of the City Manager: recommend Communications be placed on file.
34. Relative to long range plan for the Department of Code Enforcement.
35. Relative to November 2003 Monthly Report – Importing Drugs from Canada. (Attachments)
36. Relative to December 2003 Monthly Report – Importing Drugs from Canada. (Attachments)
37. Relative to Bond Anticipation Note Sale. (Attachments)
38. Relative to Package Stores – Alcohol Sales on Sunday. (Attachments)
39. Relative to Sunday Openings for Package Stores. (Attachments)
40. Relative to number of hits made against City Department’s web pages. (Attachments)
41. Relative to hits made to Treasurer’s web page relative to foreclosed properties. (Attachments)
42. Relative to refinancing of the Worcester Center Boulevard Garage.
42a ACCEPTED & ORDER ADOPTED – SUSPENSION OF RULES
42a. REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON TRAFFIC AND PARKING Upon the Petition of Attorney Robert Longden on behalf of Goldstar Partners, LLC requesting the City of Worcester enter into a prior agreement to: 1) install a new traffic signal at the intersection of Grove St. and West Boylston St. and make certain other improvements to such intersection and 2) make certain improvements to Goldstar Blvd. at its intersection with Distributor Rd.: recommend adoption of the accompanying Order. (Attachments)
SCHEDULED MEETINGS OF THE STANDING COMMITTEES
MAY 24, 2004 PUBLIC WORKS COUNCIL CHAMBER
MAY 27, 2004 COMMUNITY COUNCIL CHAMBER
5:30 – 7:30 P.M. DEVELOPMENT
JUNE 29, 2004 – ANNUAL EVALUATION OF THE CITY MANAGER
Tuesday, June 1, 2004 – 4:00 P.M. Tuesday, June 8, 2004 – 4:00 P.M.
City Council Auditing
Mayor’s Office Assessing
City Clerk Purchasing
Employment & Training Pensions
License Commission Non Contributory
Veterans Other Pensions
Zoning Board of Appeals Treasury
Neighborhood Services Debt Service
Elder Affairs Pension Obligation
Law Technical Services
Building Insurance Human Resources
Court Judgments Workers Compensation
Economic Development Police/Fire-I.O.D.
Marketing Health Insurance
City Manager’s Office Unemployment Compensation
Tuesday, June 15, 2004 – 4:00 P.M. Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 4:00 P.M.
Police Public Schools
Emergency Management Regional Library
Communications Public Works
Code City Messenger